1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Sports Reporter- Southeastern, US

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by Zads07, Jul 19, 2013.

1. Cosmo

Cosmo Well-Known Member

Hilton Head?

2. dirtybird

dirtybird Well-Known Member

That was my first guess based on profile. It has to be a smaller paper, showing up in APSE fairly regularly. The geography and school breakdown line up, as does the golf emphasis and the existence of "beats" at a smaller shop.

But the thing holding me back on going with that is the paper there has a good rep, and I can see no reason why they'd stoop to the level of a blind ad

3. TWilliams161

TWilliams161 New Member

So...are you supposed to paste all that stuff in that box? That's how you apply? Seems like they're going to end up with a bunch of jumbled information.

4. Mystery Meat II

Mystery Meat II Well-Known Member

Ah, did not catch the coastal part in the opening graf. But my point, albeit with the geographic confusion removed, stays. Do you really want to hire someone who doesn't care where they work or who they work for? I mean, I get wanting to have a pile of resumes to expedite the replacement process should you send your current worker bee packing, but are you really getting THAT much of a jump on it, and is the time savings worth the probable downgrade in resumes?

5. boundforboston

boundforboston Well-Known Member

Unfortunately, there are some editors who are so burned out that they just want to get a new hire in, regardless of how long their search may have been. They think good enough is enough. Just slap together a story and slap together a newspaper page. They don't take much pride on their work. It sounds like this is another one of those places.

There are quite a few places that say "Only candidates from the region will be considered." Why? Because it's quicker to get those people in. It's not about quality. It's about doing just enough to get by.

6. Jake_Taylor

Jake_Taylor Well-Known Member

That was my guess. It fits the description. I don't understand why the blind ad though.

7. Riptide

Riptide Well-Known Member

Will they call each editor for a recap and review? Bizarre request.

8. deskslave

deskslave Active Member

Without knowing exactly how many schools are in the area, Savannah was my first instinct, but Hilton Head probably makes more sense.

9. Cosmo

Cosmo Well-Known Member

The golf part is what makes me think HH. Not sure how much of an emphasis Savannah places on golf.

10. KJIM

KJIM Well-Known Member

Or Gulf, perhaps?

I'm not sure I could even name editors on some of my stuff, honestly. What a weird requirement.

11. Mark2010

Mark2010 Active Member

Yeah, never seen that request before.

12. slc10

slc10 Member

I grew up in Savannah and golf coverage isn't bad especially when the Heritage is played. There are a couple of tournaments there and they get coverage. SMN wouldn't just place a blind ad esepcially if they can dig into one of the other Morris properties say JAx or Augusta. (which is possible here but doubtful). Would be nice to just have a place to send information if nothing else. There isn't one in journalismjobs.com either.

The plot thickens.

Draft saved Draft deleted