1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Sports Reporter, Southampton Press, Southampton, N.Y.

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by jshecket, Mar 11, 2008.

1. jshecket

jshecket Member

From Journalismjobs.com:
    Company: The Southampton Press
    Position: Sports Reporter
    Job Status: Full-time
    Salary: Negotiable
    Ad Expires: April 14, 2008
    Job ID: 251859

Description:
    Award-winning weekly newspaper on East End of Long Island seeks motivated individual with strong writing and photography skills for full-time position in our sports department. Responsible for coverage of local high school athletics, plus various recreational and outdoor subjects. Car and digital SLR camera required. Competitive salary and benefits package. Some experience preferred. Send resume and clips to Cailin Brophy, Sports Editor, The Southampton Press, P.O. Box 1207, Southampton, NY 11969, or e-mail to mailbag@southamptonpress.com. No phone calls, please.

So... How exactly does this work? Are they planning on paying $40k per year?

2. bigpern23

bigpern23 Well-Known Member

I figured since they require you to bring your own photo equipment, shoot your own art and write the stories, that it's just a volunteer job. Wait, no?

3. Stitch

Stitch Active Member

It's a freaking weekly and the SE doesn't want calls. Was he expecting the phones to ring off the hook for this one?

4. FreddiePatek

FreddiePatek Active Member

Worst. Job. Ever.

5. Editude

Editude Active Member

The lead art on the Web site looks like it was shot from a cell phone in an airplane, so at least the standards for you and your digital camera are high.

6. sportsnut

sportsnut Member

Atleast the place has lots of celebrities coming by during the off season or when p-diddy or whatever he is called today has his white pimp ball.

But seriously how many reporters has an slr camera that they can use professionaly and be able to write and design? Also how much does this weekly pay for you to be able to live in Southhampton?

7. BYH

BYH Active Member

There's a pretty good weekly out there whose dimensions are bigger than the NYT. not sure if this is that paper.

As for who's going to land that gig...college kid whose parents have a place east of Patchogue. There is no way anyone could afford to live in that neck of the woods working on a weekly salary.

8. CapeCodder

CapeCodder Member

I think that's the East Hampton Star.

9. hockeybeat

hockeybeat Guest

Well, you could always live in Farmingville.

10. jaxson5

jaxson5 Member

I applied for this a couple of times, just becasue my GF is from the Hamtons and wouldn't mind going back. Never got a response, and I know I'm more than qualified for a paper like this. Anyone know what a paper like this would pay, being in one of the most expensive places on earth.

11. hockeybeat

hockeybeat Guest

I would think that the pay would be in the mid-20s. At that rate, you won't be able to live in the Hamptons. You would have to live in Patchogue or Farmingville, maybe Central Islip. Also, a day trip into NYC is going to be a haul; at least an hour drive or train ride.

12. jaxson5

jaxson5 Member

At mid-20s, that wouldn't get you a cardboard box on the shore in Hampton Bays. Glad they never responded.

I would think that the pay would be in the mid-20s. At that rate, you won't be able to live in the Hamptons. You would have to live in Patchogue or Farmingville, maybe Central Islip. Also, a day trip into NYC is going to be a haul; at least an hour drive or train ride.
    [/quote]

Draft saved Draft deleted