1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Sports reporter (Sedalia, Mizzou)

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by Jay Sherman, Jul 20, 2008.

1. Jay Sherman

Jay Sherman Member

From JJobs: http://www.journalismjobs.com/Job_Listing.cfm?JobID=952686

The Sedalia Democrat is looking for a full-time sports reporter. The position includes game coverage, feature and enterprise reporting and some desk work and page design. The Democrat covers 22 high schools, State Fair Community College, the University of Central Missouri and Missouri Valley College. Sedalia has a semi-pro football team that is a two-time league champion, and a nearby dirt track that holds races on Friday night. The Democrat has covered multiple state champions since 2001 and will have two defending champs for the 2008-2009 school year. The Democrat operates a rapidly growing Web site, a separate prep sports site and emphasizes multimedia storytelling. The Democrat, a Freedom Communications newspaper, offers competitive pay and an excellent benefits package. Apply with a resume, references, examples of your work and letter to Kyle Smith, sports editor, at smith@sedaliademocrat.com Contact Smith after 2 p.m. daily at(800) 892-7856. Direct inquiries on weekdays to Oliver Wiest, editor. Mail to P.O. Box 848, Sedalia, MO 65302.

2. MU_was_not_so_hard

MU_was_not_so_hard Active Member

Sedalia isn't exactly Shangri-La, but it could be much, much worse.

3. Jay Sherman

Jay Sherman Member

Circulation of just over 13,000 would be good for a recent grad... or a non-journalism major from MU.

4. MU_was_not_so_hard

I don't think major has anything to do with it. I know a few recent J-school grads who would love to have that job. Just because someone graduates from the J-school doesn't mean they are the cat's meow.

5. Jay Sherman

Jay Sherman Member

True. I just imagine kids at Mizzou (similar to my alma mater) are conditioned to load up the resume so you're ready to jump head first into the pool.

6. MU_was_not_so_hard

Some really do.
    Others believe the school itself will get them a gig at the WaPo or CNN.

7. joe

joe Active Member

Cruisers, home of the "Dirty Dancing" Caddy with the punched-out window, and also home to Evel's Snake River Canyon rocket ship.

8. Shaggy

Shaggy Guest

Sedalia is, what 30-45 minutes from Party Cove? You could do some in-depth reporting there in your free time.

9. HandsomeHarley

HandsomeHarley Well-Known Member

Hey, don't say anything bad about Sedalia unless you've lived there. ;)

I was born and raised (partially) there.

As far as living goes, it was a shithole then and is a shithole now. Depressing little former railroad town with I-70 a good 40 minutes north.

That said, it's 30 minutes from Central Missouri State, a D-II power, and 90 minutes from Kansas City. To the east, 30 minutes from Jefferson City and about 40 to Mizzou.

It is home to Scott Joplin of ragtime fame, and Zack Wheat, former major league baseball player. It's also home to the Missouri State Fair.

I love Missouri with all my heart, and am proud to call myself a Sedalian. But I don't think I'd live there again. I love to visit (my father and grandpa are buried 10 miles from there) and I still have cousins, aunts and uncles there. Centennial Park, on the east side, is an old stomping ground. Used to watch pro wrestling at Convention Hall in Liberty Park. You can still see remnants of 50-Drive In, nestled between Main and Broadway, which was destroyed by a tornado a few years ago.

Also worked with a photog who is now there, Hal Smith. A good guy.

10. biggerthanlashley

biggerthanlashley New Member

I am familiar with Freedom Communications, and have little good to say abut them. They're not as bad as the JRC horror stories, but the leadership at that company is not good.

11. Grandparents live in Sedalia. Even though I am still looking for my first job out of college, this is one town I REFUSE to live in. It is a depressing town and the big high school in Sedalia (Smith Cotton) stinks in every sport. Sacred Heart won a baseball title a couple years ago and a volleyball title last year.

12. Dutchmaster

Dutchmaster New Member

Having worked for the Democrat during my career, I say it's a good spot for a fresh-out-of-school sports reporter to cut their teeth. The paper's editor is a fantastic mentor for young journalists. When I was there, we were able to sneak away to cover K.C. Chiefs and Mizzou home football games, which are nice for the clip file.

Is the town a bit of an armpit? Sure, I guess. However, there's plenty of opportunity to write top-notch stuff while sharpening editing and design skills. Being a "five tool player" in that regard makes you more attractive in this job market, which will make it easier to find a job in a bigger market after a year or two.

Draft saved Draft deleted