1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Sports reporter, Schenectady, NY

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by Drip, Sep 21, 2009.

1. Drip

Drip Active Member

The Daily Gazette is looking for a sports reporter able to cover a variety of sports, including ice hockey. We're looking for an enterprising reporter who appreciates the importance of local sports. The position includes a range of Web and desk duties that will require the ability to work with new technology. The Daily Gazette is an independent daily in New York's Capital Region. The area offers a range of lifestyle options, including vibrant cities, growing suburbs and rural areas within easy commute of our office. We are a short drive from the Adirondacks, New York City and Boston. Send resume, letter and work samples by Oct. 13, 2009 to Judy Patrick, managing editor, The Daily Gazette, 2345 Maxon Road Extension, PO Box 1090, Schenectady, NY 12301-1090 or jpatrick@dailygazette.net.

2. Frank_Ridgeway

Frank_Ridgeway Well-Known Member

It's been a few years since I've seen it, so I don't know what cutbacks have done to it, but it's historically been a fat, complete sports section in which the amount of coverage has been competitive with the Albany paper that's twice its circulation. The design was 1980ish, but otherwise I thought it played a lot larger than 50K. As in, if I were a reader there, I could get whatever I needed from the Gazette.

3. Monday Morning Sportswriter

Monday Morning Sportswriter Well-Known Member

These opening almost never occur. Nobody leaves the Gazette sports department. This job, for instance, sounds like it's to replace Phil Janack, who was one of the new guys, with only 15 years there.

Anyone know where Janack went?

4. upstatesports

upstatesports New Member

This paper has seen better days. The design is something you would see in a newspaper from 1970. The paper has gone through numerous layoffs and coverage is clearly not what it was back in the 1980s and 1990s. They've also had layoffs in news and copy desk. They just went to a pay website and are trying to find the correct balance. Be careful.

5. Phil did not leave voluntarily and it sounds like he has reason to be upset. I've always been impressed with his work and they're losing an awfully good worker. I would second the suggestion that applicants be cautious.

6. budcrew08

budcrew08 Active Member

I thought he was doing picks for the Saratoga horse racing meet and maybe a tv standup spot for one of the local TV stations, but i could be wrong.

7. upstatesports

upstatesports New Member

Phil was probably the best reporter they had - extremely hard working and respected. We don't know what happened, but from the outside, looks like a very chaotic situation.

8. OrangeGrad

OrangeGrad Member

Does anyone know if the hockey referred to the Rats or high school and college pucks?

9. ItsMighty

ItsMighty New Member

I applied to this job. I'm willing to take the chance.

10. OrangeGrad

OrangeGrad Member

Any word on this one (other than I'm hired)?

11. koolbreeze

koolbreeze Member

It's been filled by Bill Cain, who had previously worked at the Leader Herald in Gloversville, NY.

Draft saved Draft deleted