1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Sports reporter - Santa Clarita, California

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by jetssack, Apr 16, 2010.

1. jetssack

jetssack Member

Company: The Signal
    Position: Sports reporter wanted
    Job Status: Full-time
    Salary: Negotiable
    Ad Expires: May 21, 2010
    Job ID: 1163957

Description:
    SPORTSWRITER - The Signal newspaper in Santa Clarita, Calif., is seeking a sportswriter who can do it all. We're looking for applicants with previous sports journalism experience, and preference is given to local applicants. Pay is entry-level. Applicants with experience in page design using InDesign, and with knowledge of Adobe Photoshop and Illustrator, will have an advantage. Must have strong English and grammar skills. The Signal covers mostly prep sports and local college sports. Send a resume and cover letter to Sports Editor Cary Osborne at cosborne@the-signal.com with SPORTSWRITER in the subject field.

http://www.journalismjobs.com/Job_Listing.cfm?JobID=1163957

2. Tucsondriver

Tucsondriver Member

Not the first time the Signal has posted this position and probably not the last. Santa Clarita is a preps sports hotbed, featuring some of the most competitive high schools in the country in many sports. Hart High alone has two current NFL qb's, and a ton of other current and former high profile pros and collegians in just about every sport. Sports Illustrated had a feature last summer about the top 15 up-and-comers in the country, and from what I remember, at least three or four were from the Santa Clarita Valley. The pay sucks really, really bad. Like not even close to $30k from what I understand. That's probably a deal-breaker for many considering the area's prohibitive housing costs, but if you have some kind of freelance or investment income and need benefits, a qualified candidate should be able to negotiate a reasonably sweet situation if the editor has any brains, but I've heard conflicting reports on that one. It's not known an especially worker-friendly shop. Turnover is high in all departments, and recent college grads, or those unwilling to stand up for themselves should expect sweatshop-like conditions. On the plus side, you'd have all the amenities of LA in your backyard, and you'll live in a relatively low crime area in a world class climate.

3. NickMordo

NickMordo Active Member

I just saw this today as well. From what I've read on the Internet, I'd say you were right about sweatshop-like conditions. The pay is probably just as formidable. It's a job though, I suppose...

4. BB Bobcat

BB Bobcat Active Member

Don't know if I'd call it a world class climate. I used to live there and it gets mighty hot in the summer.

The paper is also crap. Definitely not a job for anyone above entry level.

5. rpmmutant

rpmmutant Member

I live in Santa Clarita, used to be a sportswriter, among other things, at The Signal. PM me if you have any questions about the paper or the sports editor.

Draft saved Draft deleted