1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Sports reporter, Sandusky, Ohio

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by TGO157, Apr 19, 2012.

1. CarlSpackler

CarlSpackler Active Member

Mystery Meat is the only one to take this the direction I expected. I don't know whether to be proud of humanity or disappointed.

2. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

I don't know anything about the paper, but I really do like Sandusky.

3. cjericho

cjericho Well-Known Member

For the benefit of the board and to save yourself reading/replying to multi-pms, what was your salary and average hours per week?

4. AreaMan

AreaMan Member

If the job doesn't pay enough, you can always add income by taking a part-time job with Callahan Auto Parts.

5. Chad Conant

Chad Conant Member

Might want to edit the facts in this post, as your fact checking wouldn't meet the standards of most newsrooms.

I know Mark and like him. Your representation of his career path is off. If you would like to present things as facts, it is important to have them be facts unless you're running a Republican political campaign, I suppose.

6. Tom Petty

Tom Petty New Member

no point. just random snark.

7. Mark2010

Mark2010 Active Member

Mitt Romney would like a word with you.

8. EStoess

EStoess Member

Wasn't aware Mark had become SE there. Good for him. I guess I was the clown who hired him as a stringer when he was barely out of high school and running his fan website. His "gamers" for his site were well written and critical. Not sure if I've met anyone as passionate for local sports as Mark, and he was a quick learner and easily transitioned to writing for a daily newspaper. Not surprised he's worked his way up from a stringer in Lorain to reporter in Ashland, then Sandusky and now SE. Congrats.

9. Chad Conant

Chad Conant Member

I will never understand why we feel the need to be assholes about someone most of you never met instead of being glad to see a paper actually filling an opening. So many places just eliminate positions that come open in our dying profession anymore, I would think we'd feel something other than the need to be dicks when someone posts an opening to be filled.

I would direct you to TruaxMJ for the facts behind the guy doing the hiring here. He posted well before I did and included corrections for the facts Bob didn't bother to check. Truax also gave more background on Mark's qualifications for the job he holds. I didn't notice Bob including that stuff, either.

Mark and I aren't dear friends. He actually was my successor in a full time gig Bob says he never had. I like him. We get along pretty well. That's the extent of it.

Oh, and I'm not real up on going around and dogging people behind a screen name. I'm also not big on random snark. I'll leave that to people who think it's fun to criticize a paper with a job opening that someone in this profession will be able to fill and perhaps get off the unemployment line.

The fact is, someone is going to get this job. It might be someone who didn't have a job. It might lead to an opening at a different shop that someone without a job is able to fill. That is good news to me, no matter where the opening is.

10. Bashing Mark is completely out of line. He's a good guy. He might not have the greatest credentials you would want in a sports editor, but the guy works hard and earned his position as sports editor.

I worked with him some when he was a stringer for us at my old paper.

The Sandusky Register isn't a great job, but it's a job, and there are worse places. I would suggest this job for someone who is right out of school or in need of a job. Probably would not be a step up unless you are working at a 20-25K paper or less. I'm guessing that's what Sandusky is at right now.

11. gilles73

gilles73 New Member

I worked at the Sandusky Register, and my experience was not all wine and roses. My opinion of the paper remains soured as a result. However, I can defend Mark Hazelwood all day. I worked with Mark at two different papers, including together at the Register, and I consider Mark a friend. He's very passionate about his work and he's worked tirelessly to get to this point. He cares about local sports, and it's conveyed in his work. Bashing the Register? That's perfectly fine. Bashing Mark? I can't get on board with that. He's definitely not a "clown." I wish him the best of luck in replacing Mike Truax, who I've also covered events with and gotten to know pretty well. A standup guy, and I wish him the best in his future endeavors.

12. Tennessee Jed

Tennessee Jed New Member

Anybody heard anything on this?

Draft saved Draft deleted