1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Sports Reporter-San Angelo, TX

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by srnitz86, Jun 18, 2009.

1. srnitz86

srnitz86 Guest

Job Title: Sports Reporter
    Requisition Number: 749

Area of Interest: Journalism

Division: Newspaper Division

Work Location: San Angelo Standard-Times

State/Province: Texas

City/Town: San Angelo

Full Time/Part Time: Full Time

If part time, specify number
    of hours per week:
    Commercial Driver's License Required (CDL)?: No
    Job Description: The sports reporter enables the Standard-Times/gosanangelo.com to produce a daily news report that is relevant, interesting, timely and informative, by delivering to our readers not only local and area news, but the stories of the issues and people behind that news
    EXAMPLES:

 Exhaustively covers a beat or special assignment as determined by the editors.

 Posts immediate reports to gosanangleo.com, as well as web updates as their stories develop.

 Becomes known in the community as the point of contacts for sources to provide information, tips and news items, seeking to develop relationships that encourage these sources to feed us information.

 Works with editors to ensure that stories are thoroughly reported, written in a clear and compelling fashion, have active leads, tight construction and strong nut graphs, are balanced and fair, have been double-checked for accuracy, and adhere to AP and Standard-Times style.

It's Scripps so it looks like you have to apply on their website

2. Smash Williams

Smash Williams Well-Known Member

I would assume this is because Jeff Wick left, or at least, I haven't seen anything from him in that paper in a while. If he's still there and on some sort of leave, they're expanding the department back to four full-timers (SE, ASE and two writers).

PM me if you want details about this job.

3. GlenQuagmire

GlenQuagmire Active Member

Wick left San Angelo in April to write news for the La Grange newspaper. He's a good reporter/writer and a good guy.

4. Smash Williams

Smash Williams Well-Known Member

He's from La Grange, IIRC, and he's a great guy. Good move for him to head back home.

5. mltru2tx

mltru2tx Member

He's actually not doing news in LaGrange, he's a one-man sports desk. Wick's a great dude. He's like Bill Brasky.

6. GlenQuagmire

When he left back in April, the Texas Press newsletter reported he was doing news. Haven't spoken to him since then, so that's the best I got.

7. Mark2010

Mark2010 Active Member

Is San Angelo one of the papers doing this combined regional copy desk?

8. GlenQuagmire

Yes. It's located in Corpus Christi.

9. esport12

esport12 Member

That can't be right?

10. GlenQuagmire

It is right. Regional copydesk for Scripps is in Corpus Christi. Does layout for CC, Abilene, San Angelo and Wichita Falls.

11. mltru2tx

mltru2tx Member

Yeah and their deadline is like 10 p.m. Nothing gets in the paper anymore. It's kind of sad. It used to be a great paper, and isn't bad, it just doesn't get any content in. I grew up there and know a lot of the people there. It's a great group of folks.

12. esport12

esport12 Member

Wow. I can't believe CC does their layout. That's nuts.

Draft saved Draft deleted