1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Sports reporter (Salida, Colo.)

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by Jay Sherman, Jul 15, 2008.

1. Jay Sherman

Jay Sherman Member

From JJobs: http://www.journalismjobs.com/Job_Listing.cfm?JobID=950648

The Mountain Mail, an award-winning small daily newspaper in Salida, Colorado, has an immediate opening for a sports reporter. This is an excellent opportunity for a recent college grad to gain a variety of reporting experience in a vibrant and growing community. It’s a one-person show in the sports department with the reporter covering fall, winter and spring high school sports, mountain sports such as skiing, rafting, hiking and biking and other outdoor related recreation. Throw in weekend news and events, features and an occasional breaking news story and this beat becomes one of the best in the newsroom! The Upper Arkansas Valley offers amazing outdoor recreation opportunities include hiking, biking, rafting, skiing and climbing. We seek applicants who are familiar with Colorado, our issues and lifestyle. A journalism degree and experience on a community or campus newspaper are preferred but we will work with the right individual. The successful applicant will be well- organized, able to turn around multiple stories under deadline and must able to handle a camera. Send a letter of interest and resume to Christopher Kolomitz, Managing Editor, The Mountain Mail, PO Box 189, Salida, CO 81201, or email them to chris@themountainmail.com. Interviews will begin July 24.

Pay is $20k-25k, and circulation, I believe, is 6,500 or so.

2. Don't know a thing about the paper, but before I went to college I worked as a rock climbing instructor in the area. It's absolutely beautiful. If you like rock climbing, mountain climbing, mountain biking, kayaking, whitewater rafting, skiing, etc., this would be a fantastic place to live.

3. outdoors

outdoors Member

Yes, very nice area and the paper is decent. I knew the sports guy that held this position, and he did a lot of stuff. The paper is really small, as I remember him working some seven day weeks, as he was stuck on weekends because they had no one else. Chris is a great guy and I have known him for several years. He knows how to run a paper, he just has the typical small town, small paper, isolation problems which creates turnover. Your pretty far from any large-sized cities, as Canon is nearby (an hour), but it isn't much, then Pueblo and Colorado Springs are around 1 1/2, 2 hours. But, as Bristol said, the area is beautiful, and you can do just about anything outdoors-wise in Salida, you just have to like small mountain living, with some amenities.

Draft saved Draft deleted