1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Sports Reporter, Salem (Ore.) Statesman Journal

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by luckyducky, Jun 2, 2006.

1. luckyducky

luckyducky Guest

osition:
    Sports Reporter
    Job Status: Full-time
    Salary: Not Specified
    Ad Expires:
    July 7, 2006
    Job ID: 644754

Description:
    The Statesman Journal, a 55,000-circulation daily newspaper in Salem, Ore., seeks a Sports Reporter
    Essential Functions: This position will report and write on sports news, people and events in an accurate, timely, interesting and easy-to-understand manner. Essential functions are to develop sources, including minority sources, throughout the sports community, interview people, collect data and analyze information to explain happenings in the sports field. This person will work with other departments, including photo and graphics, to add elements to a story that give readers a better understanding.

Minimum Qualifications: The ideal candidate will have a Bachelor’s degree in Journalism, or Communications with a writing emphasis, and (at minimum) a writing internship at a daily newspaper. Must have excellent written/verbal communication skills, and superior knowledge of grammar, spelling and sentence structure. Must have understanding of journalism, libel, and the ability to demonstrate experience with AP style. Must take notes quickly and accurately, and have excellent phone, interviewing and research skills. This candidate must also be proficient with computers and software. This position must adhere to high journalistic standards of honesty, integrity, fairness, balance and accuracy. Must keep abreast of current events and be able to simultaneously handle daily and weekend story assignments. Must be able to develop sources and story ideas on assigned beat. Must have a valid Oregon driver’s license, reliable transportation and proof of insurance.

To apply: Send your resume and work samples, as well as an explanation of why you're the right person for the job, to Jill Latuszek at jlatusze@statesmanjournal.com or 280 Church St. NE, Salem, OR 97301.

The Statesman Journal requires a pre-employment drug test. We are an equal-employment-opportunity employer, and women and minorities are encouraged to apply.

http://www.journalismjobs.com/Job_Listing.cfm?JobID=644754

Info? Anybody? Bueller?

2. JME

JME Member

That is a helluva long job description that doesn't describe in any way what your job will be. Sounds like it was written by a secretary who has no clue what the job is. Very strange.

3. Mystery_Meat

Mystery_Meat Guest

Probably a reporter position boilerplate. Media General does that a lot with their listings as well.

4. joe

joe Active Member

If they offer the position, it will be at a set price that they expect you to take. Try to negotiate for more money, and suddenly they will have a hiring freeze.
    This is from personal experience.

5. I can't imagine this job being anything but GA and/or preps. If they were looking for a college or pro (do they staff Blazers?), they'd mention that.

6. awriter

awriter Active Member

They cut out the Blazers beat a few years ago.

7. Didn't one Rusty Hampton begin his accomplished career there? I could be wrong...

8. Lion_Woods

Lion_Woods Active Member

Can someone help me, but what is a minority source?

9. Appgrad05

Appgrad05 Active Member

A source that isn't the majority

10. HejiraHenry

HejiraHenry Well-Known Member

Well, he certainly did work there. He was on loan from Salem when we worked together, briefly, at the mother ship.

Good guy and an occasional board poster when he's looking to make hires.

11. RustyHampton

RustyHampton Member

Many moons ago I did work at the S-J. First job out of college at my hometown newspaper. (Trivia question: In the summer of 1979, two young writers from Oregon served internships at the Statesman-Journal, one named Hampton and the other Kristof. Which one went on to win 2 Pulitzers?).

The S-J is a very local paper. As noted above, it no longer covers the Blazers on a regular basis, even though Portland is but 50 miles up I-5. It covers Oregon State and Oregon, a handful of small colleges and about 30-40 high schools in the Willamette Valley. Also big on recreation/outdoors/fishing/hiking/camping, etc. This is a good place for a young reporter to grow and learn. Cost of living seems to have escalated at a ridiculous rate since I moved away, but isn't it like that just about everywhere? 

12. bourq25

bourq25 Member

I'm looking to cover something besides solely preps/community stuff. Hopefully I can land a job covering college sports before the decade ends.
    So Ducks, Beavers at least a few times per week or so? I applied for this puppy, I'm sure a lot have as well, but I have already begun my career. So hopefully the S-J staffs college more often than not, especially for the new hire(s).

Draft saved Draft deleted