1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Sports reporter, Roseburg, Ore.

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by 2muchcoffeeman, Jan 17, 2008.

1. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Well-Known Member

From J-jobs:

Company: The News-Review
    Position:
    Seeking sports reporter
    Job Status: Full-time
    Salary: Not Specified
    Ad Expires:
    February 18, 2008
    Job ID: 872999

Description:
    The News-Review in Roseburg, Oregon, is in need of a sports reporter who is also able to do layout and design. The best candidate will be familiar with QuarkXpress and hold a bachelor's degree in journalism or a related field. Experience is great, but we would also consider top college graduates who have had experience at their college papers or newspaper internships. The News-Review consistently wins awards for its design, as well as for writing and photography. We publish five afternoons a week and on Sunday mornings, with a circulation near 20,000. We're located in an outdoors recreation area near rivers, forests, mountains and we're not far from the beach. To learn more, check out our Web site, www.newsreview.info. We are family-owned with a good health insurance program and 401K. To apply, send cover letter, resume, clips, and references to Sports Editor Tom Eggers, The News-Review, PO Box 1248, Roseburg OR 97470. For information, e-mail teggers@newsreview.info.

http://www.journalismjobs.com/Job_Listing.cfm?JobID=872999

2. HandsomeHarley

HandsomeHarley Well-Known Member

My wife grew up here.

The only thing I know about the paper, when we were on welfare and they set me up for an internship paid for by welfare (we were the only ones in the group sessions that wasn't hungover or stoned), they sent me to the publisher.

He could have had a free intern, off the government's titty. He said he didn't have a desk for me.

3. Editude

Editude Active Member

Used to be a prototypical mill town. Trying to diversify, and it's within driving distance of the coast, mountains and Eugene, but it's a mite isolated. High school is big and plays big-time sports (on a relative Oregon scale).

4. WSKY

WSKY Member

So covering Pac-10 game is as likely as ...

5. HandsomeHarley

... going to the beach without it raining. ;D

6. WoodyWommack

WoodyWommack Member

I grew up reading this paper and I know that Roseburg is a big Oregon State town. Judging by their site it looks like they do write some original Pac-10 stuff.

http://www.newsreview.info/article/20080114/SPORTS06/45961781

7. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

at least they didn't bump up the numbers.

NEWS-REVIEW OF DOUGLAS COUNTY, ROSEBURG (DOUGLAS CO.) E (M-F) DLY 18,831
    NEWS-REVIEW OF DOUGLAS COUNTY, ROSEBURG (DOUGLAS CO.) SUN DLY 19,611

8. three_bags_full

three_bags_full Well-Known Member

As someone said, typical mill town atmosphere. I stopped in and had lunch at the Denny's on my way to Crater Lake. I wasn't very impressed with the town. Beautiful driving in that part of the country, and there's probaby some pretty good outdoors fun to be had and written.

9. HandsomeHarley

That's the Denny's I worked at right out of my big layoff in 1994.

Went from $25g a year to sweeping up cigarette butts off the parking lot at 6 a.m.

10. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

i never pictured you as a denny's kinda guy.

11. three_bags_full

three_bags_full Well-Known Member

I was in a hurry and there aren't many options.

12. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

so tell me, which slam did you choose?

Draft saved Draft deleted