1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Sports Reporter, Rockingham, NC

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by sportsguydave, Feb 26, 2010.

1. sportsguydave

sportsguydave Active Member

The Richmond County Daily Journal, a five-day-a-week AM paper in Rockingham, N.C., is looking for a sports reporter. We cover one high school, Richmond Senior High, seven-time winners of the State 4AA football title. We also offer plenty of chances to cover motorsports, and we’re home to an IHRA dragstrip and host national events. The job involves a night schedule Monday through Friday. The position offers paid vacation, medical, dental, vision 401k and paid holidays. The Daily Journal is part of Heartland Publications and we give first consideration to candidates who live in the southeast region. Interested applicants can E-mail pwilliams@yourdailyjournal.com.

=========================================================================================

I'm the SE here (Peter is the editor).

A few other points: We are home to Rockingham Speedway (formerly North Carolina Speedway), which was dropped from the NASCAR schedule in 2004. The track sat vacant for a few years, but was purchased in 2007. The new owner, Andy Hillenburg, is hoping to bring NASCAR back in some capacity in the near future. For now, the track hosts several ARCA races and a USAR race, in addition to some smaller races, including a New Years's Day street-stock race.

Though the ad doesn't mention layout, that would be a plus, as it would be nice to have someone who can fill in for me on vacation days and such. We use InDesign, but I came from a Quark background, and the transition wasn't difficult.

Feel free to PM me with any other questions you may have.

2. Tarheel316

Tarheel316 Well-Known Member

Good stuff to cover here. There's one high school - Richmond County - and the Raiders are a football megapower. But it's in the middle of nowhere and it is a Heartland paper.

3. Celtics22

Celtics22 New Member

Stay away from any Heartland paper. The company is horrible to work for and cheap beyond compare. Employees are treated like dirt.

4. writingump

writingump Member

Which makes them unique in what way from Media General, Singleton, etc., so on and so forth?

5. Tarheel316

Tarheel316 Well-Known Member

You know, gump, that's a good point.

6. sportsguydave

Though I have only been here three months, I have to take strong exception to Celtics' statement. I've got nothing but good things to say about the people I have worked with here. The editor and publisher willing have both been great. I came here in November after a disastrous move to a nightmarish job, and they were willing to take a chance on me, even though I had only been at my previous job three months. That, my friends, makes you damaged goods to many hiring editors.

And Gump's post is a good one. This company did recently cut hourly employees back to 37.5 hours.

But we seem to have avoided the furloughs and across-the-board salary cuts many other places have engaged in.

Is Heartland perfect? No. But who is? I'm just happy to be able to replace my departing writer. It could be a lot worse. It's a job, and we're hiring.

7. bl67550

bl67550 Member

I don't know much about Heartland but Mr. Williams sure was kind enough to get back to me right away after I sent some material their way. That, my friends, is very, very rare.

8. flexmaster33

flexmaster33 Well-Known Member

Seems most of us are dealing with furloughs and whatnot...but how is cutting employees back to 37.5 hours per week any different than forcing furloughs.

We're on a one furlough per month system right now...that's 8-10 hours lost per month...works out the same as your losing 2 1/2 hours each week. ???

glad you've found a place you can be happy at though...it makes a big difference. Going on furlough stinks, but at least our higher-ups are making sure the workload has been sized down to accommodate the lost hours. I'm hearing too many horror stories on these boards.

9. SalukiNC

SalukiNC Member

Got my start in Rockingham. Nice place to get your feet wet. High school football is religion there and Richmond is a powerhouse. NASCAR country through and through. Close to Pinehurst and within a short drive from Charlotte/Raleigh .... and the coast. Publisher is a good guy as well. Did Corey Davis move on?

10. sportsguydave

Yep. Corey left last week to get married and move to South Carolina. He will be working for a paper in Sumter. He was here about four years...an eternity for a paper our size.

Draft saved Draft deleted