1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Sports Reporter- Roanoke, VA

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by Zads07, May 2, 2014.

1. Zads07

Zads07 Member

From BH Media
    https://bhmedia.silkroad.com/epostings/index.cfm?fuseaction=app.dspjob&jobid=2850&company_id=16186&version=1&jobBoardId=1112

(Have to go to the website to apply)

Sports Reporter
    Tracking Code
    2850-186
    Job Description
    The Roanoke Times is hiring a full-time sports reporter who can handle general-assignment tasks, including high school, college, community sports and outdoors coverage for our award-winning sports section and website.
    We want a reporter who will go beyond the results and explore sports issues throughout our coverage area while also breaking news and providing extensive coverage of our local and high school sports scene, including bringing robust content to our high school sports website.
    The ideal candidate will be an idea person who has experience breaking news, producing unique enterprise content and engaging readers digitally. We want someone ready to build their personal brand on twitter and as a blogger. The job will include night and weekend assignments.
    Candidates should have a college degree in journalism or related field and previous experience. This position requires a thorough understanding of AP style and demonstrated ability to excel on deadline. Must have a valid driver’s license, dependable transportation and proof of insurance.
    Job Location
    Roanoke, Virginia, United States
    Position Type
    Full-Time/Regular
    Company
    BH Media Group Holdings, Inc. (formerly World Media Enterprises/Midlands Newspapers)

2. Hoos3725

Hoos3725 Member

Is someone leaving?

3. steveu

steveu Well-Known Member

Nice city and paper. It's got my seal of approval.

4. Cosmo

Cosmo Well-Known Member

Sounds a lot like Ray Cox's old job description.

5. 49erEditor

49erEditor New Member

Anyone have an update on this one?

6. Della9250

Della9250 Well-Known Member

Got an email today on this one. Decision made not to fill the opening but there is an assistant sports editor spot opening.

7. steveu

steveu Well-Known Member

The assistant SE job has been there all along, but I'm thinking about contacting them to see if they still have my stuff or if it has to be re-sent. You never know these days.

8. JackReacher

JackReacher Well-Known Member

In a former life, I'd have cut off a toe to work there.

9. Bronco77

Bronco77 Well-Known Member

No idea what it's like there now, but I interviewed there early in my career for a desk job and was blown away. It was almost like a major metro operation in sports in staff size and depth and breadth of coverage and it covered the hell out of the SEC. I still remember sitting in Bill Brill's cigar smoke-scented office (the executive SE was in charge of the interview process, but Brill wanted to meet the candidates) and listening to him talk about the paper, the city and ACC basketball.

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 1, 2015
Draft saved Draft deleted