1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Sports reporter position opening soon, Butte MT

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by gravehunter, Sep 2, 2016.

1. gravehunter

gravehunter Member

I am posting this in regards to a job opening at a daily newspaper in Butte, Montana that will be available soon, as we have a reporter who will be moving out of state (personal reasons) in what could be the very near future.

Since our prep and college seasons have recently started, I would like to try and get a head start on screening interested applicants.

The position will be for a sports reporter, so I am looking for someone knowledgeable in all sports (from football to hockey) and has the proven ability to be flexible in the things he covers. Experience in writing game stories, features and the occasional enterprise piece is essential, as is working well on deadline. Said candidate should have experience with and possess strong interviewing, reporting and writing skills. Photography skills are a definite plus, and social media skills are essential.

While our layout is done offsite, the ability to create a budget and compile stories for the next day’s paper is essential. This job will be more about reporting but there will be some desk work involved. That part of the job can be taught.

A reliable car is also needed for this position, as we have some schools within our coverage area which are located about an hour away. The paper covers nine schools, an NAIA college and assorted youth sports.

I’m not sure when that move will take place, but he is one of the final candidates at another paper.

Please private-message me if you have any questions or are interested in applying.

2. gravehunter

gravehunter Member

I am giving this a bump because the aforementioned position has opened up and we're looking to make a hire as soon as possible.

Draft saved Draft deleted