1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Sports Reporter- Portland, ME

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by Zads07, Aug 27, 2013.

1. Zads07

Zads07 Member

From jjobs.com
    http://www.journalismjobs.com/Job_Listing.cfm?JobID=1524172

Company: Portland Press Herald/Maine Sunday Telegram
    Position:
    Sports Reporter
    Job Status: Full-time
    Salary: Not Specified
    Ad Expires:
    October 1, 2013
    Job ID: 1524172

Description:

The Portland Press Herald/Maine Sunday Telegram is seeking an outstanding, accomplished reporter to cover local sports. We need a talented, curious, motivated reporter who can produce a mix of game stories, strong news features, lively enterprise pieces, compelling narratives and investigations. You are the right candidate for this job only if you can work comfortably in all the arenas that 21st century journalism demands: You break news on the web and immediately share it through social media. You love writing sports enterprise for Page One as much as you enjoy engaging with readers on Twitter. You spend as much time with high school athletes as with their coaches and athletic directors. You see sports as a way to tell stories, not just report scores and standings. You take video highlights with your phone. You unearth trends, employ your database and investigative skills, and use news and sports events as launch pads for blockbuster Page One tales. You are driven by competitiveness, and you’re a believer in multimedia storytelling. You love covering game stories for the Sports section, and you insist on writing for Page One. You may cover a high school game one day and a New England Patriots story the next. If you are the best at what you do and share our zeal for ambitious journalism, this is the opportunity you’ve been waiting for. You will be part of Maine’s finest and largest newsgathering operation, and you’ll live in a region with an extraordinarily high quality of life. Daily experience is required. Send a sparkling cover letter, your resume and five examples of your most stunning work to Colleen Mitchell, Assistant to the Editor, Portland Press Herald, One City Center, Portland ME 04101 or by email to cmitchell@pressherald.com.

2. RonClements

RonClements Well-Known Member

I'm thinking about this one because I believe living in Portland would be really friggin' cool. Anybody have any idea on a salary range?

3. Gator

Gator Well-Known Member

Really nice paper. I pick it up every day when I vacation up there for a week during the summer. Although they cover some Patriots and give the SeaDogs good coverage, they still seem like a "local" paper. During the week I'm up there, Legion baseball playoffs or the LL entry into the regional tournament are generally the cover stories.

If I lived up that way, I'd jump on this one.

4. JimmyHoward33

JimmyHoward33 Well-Known Member

Did they have some cuts a year or so ago?

5. Double J

Double J Active Member

The dream of the '90s is alive in Portland.

Wait, what??

6. wicked

wicked Well-Known Member

Pretty sure they've had a steady stream of cuts (but who hasn't?).

Maybe they can rehire some of that talent. Wishful thinking, I know.

7. RonClements

Too bad Portlandia takes place in Oregon and not Maine.

8. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

As a courtesy I emailed to ask, twice, and today the reply was "unspecified at this time" ...

9. RonClements

Thanks.

10. Double J

Double J Active Member

Yes, I know. Hence the "Wait, what??" line.

11. Via Linkedin, it appears Mark Emmert (no, not the NCAA president) has filled this slot. Really solid hire.

12. gravehunter

gravehunter Member

He went from Deputy Sports Ed at the Des Moines Register to a sports reporter here? I'm not knocking this gig nor Emmert, and maybe I just don't know that much about it, but that almost sounds like a step down on the surface.

Draft saved Draft deleted