1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Sports reporter -- (Pittsburg, Kan.) Morning Sun

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by boundforboston, Jul 15, 2014.

1. Community Sports Reporter
    The Morning Sun located in Pittsburg, Kan., is searching for a community sports reporter. Candidate must have experience writing and covering sports as a beat, be digital savvy and posses the ability to manage multiple tasks. The reporter must be comfortable with a range of story topics from high school to college game coverage, feature stories, athlete Q&A’s and other minor sports as time allows. They should be able to recognize you before long — it’s not a desk job.
    While you will work with an editor and contract with stringers for game coverage and photography, you will be independent in your pursuit of story ideas and sources.

Community News Reporter
    The Morning Sun is also searching for a community news reporter with digital awareness and a desire to get involved in his/her beat.
    The reporter must be comfortable with a range of story materials, from feel-good features to the gritty sides of politics, courts and business. The reporter must have a digital-first mentality, engaging readers with timely reporting and social media. Developing relationships within the community will be crucial.
    While you will work with editors and others, you will be independent in your pursuit of story ideas and sources.

Both openings will require experience with digital cameras, video and social media platforms. Candidates for both positions should have a bachelor’s degree in journalism, communications, writing or comparable field.
    To apply, submit a cover letter, résumé and three writing samples — as well as any photo samples — to Managing Editor Andrew Nash at anash@morningsun.net.

Isn't there someone who posts on here from Pittsburg?
  2. apeman33

apeman33 Well-Known Member

That would be me. But I don't work there. I commute to another nearby town (you can probably figure it out and I don't care much if you do).

I'm not sure I'm interested because I'm pretty much convinced my next job won't be in media.

On the bright side, it's probably a great place to get your start. I don't know if this means they're hiring someone to assist the current sports guy or if he's leaving.

On the other hand, it's Gatehouse. And it's a shadow of what it was a decade ago.
  3. Mr. Majestyk

Mr. Majestyk New Member

I was told the current sports guy is leaving. It will remain a one-man shop.
  4. Sports Guy

Sports Guy Member

Has Pittsburg Morning Sun taken a step back?

It has been known as a good newspaper for sports coverage.

Who was the sports editor.
  5. apeman33

apeman33 Well-Known Member

From what I hear in the community and from some of the people I'm in regular contact with, the Morning Sun is quite a bit down from five to 10 years ago. The sports department was whacked down to one man and some stringers. I think there's only three others in the newsroom but at least they still have the staff photographer, so the new guy won't have to take game photos. They don't send anyone to Pitt State road games anymore (except at Missouri Southern) and don't go out of town for much of anything. They make extensive use of stringers, especially during football season.

Brock Sisney was the sports editor (I don't know if he had that exact title there but he was responsible for all the content). He was seen as sort of an odd duck, though.

The managing editor, Andrew Nash, sounds like a good guy to work for. The next guy who steps in could help perk up the sports section somewhat if he's up for it.

You have two local high schools, Pittsburg High and Colgan-St. Mary's. There's also Girard, Northeast-Arma, Southeast-Cherokee and Frontenac in the county. I've seen some attempts to cover Columbus and St. Paul but that hasn't been consistent. Of course, you get to cover Pittsburg State. Dan Wilkes is a good SID and will probably be happy to work with whoever takes it on.

Kary Booher, currently in Springfield, Mo., got his start at the Morning Sun.
  6. Sports Guy

Sports Guy Member

Heard another Gatehouse paper in Kansas has a sports editor opening in the Dodge City Daily Globe. The job has a revolving door of sports writers coming through there. Hasn't been stable since Joshua Kinder was the lead sports person a decade ago.
  7. Sports Guy

Sports Guy Member

Actually, it's sports writer opening not sports editor at Dodge City Globe.
  8. albert77

albert77 Well-Known Member

Was that spelling intentional?
  9. Sports Guy

Sports Guy Member

Draft saved Draft deleted