1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Sports Reporter Pine Bluff, Arkansas

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by BrianM, Apr 18, 2013.

1. BrianM

BrianM Member

It seems like this job has been open quite a few times in the past few years........

From J Jobs: IMMEDIATE OPENING: The Pine Bluff Commercial is looking for a sports reporter/page designer to complete our three-person staff.

Before applying, please review the requirements for the position:

We are looking for someone who has at least two years of continuous experience in sports journalism (must have worked for a newspaper or college publication for the past two years); experience in public relations is NOT a substitute for this requirement
    We are looking for someone who is familiar with paginating on Adobe InDesign, preferably CS4, and wouldn’t mind running the desk on Saturdays during football season if asked
    We are looking for someone who would help us build stability in the sports department, not someone who is trying to stay here for less than a year and move on; the experience here will be well worth the time
    We are looking for someone willing to immerse himself/herself in covering prep sports in our area with opportunities of Division I and II athletics available with the University of Arkansas at Pine Bluff and UA-Monticello.
    If you do not meet ALL of these requirements or are hoping to land this job in search of a pay raise, PLEASE DO NOT APPLY.

To apply, send resume and at least three writing pieces and two examples of layout to imurrell@pbcommercial.com or to: I.C. Murrell, Pine Bluff Commercial, 300 S. Beech St., Pine Bluff, AR 71601. Any applications not meeting the minimum pieces/layout examples will not be considered. ABSOLUTELY NO PHONE CALLS PLEASE. Considerations will be made within two weeks of the posting of this ad.

2. twinsfan1424

twinsfan1424 Member

I.C. is a GREAT person to work for and a really nice guy. The prep sports in that area is very good.

The only problem is Pine Bluff's crime problem and the city is a bit run down. It has one of the fastest declining populations in the country because of that. But it is still a good job and I.C. is a really good guy.

3. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

Yeah, the term "arm pit" often comes to mind when thinking of Pine Bluff. It's in the bland Delta region, not the more picturesque mountains of central and northwestern Arkansas. There's just not a lot of zip to the city. Sort of industrial, run down, too big to be called a small town, not big enough to have all the bells and whistles of a bigger city like Little Rock or a big college town like Fayetteville.
    As for the beats, UA-Monticello has had some decent football teams but is still a second-tier Division II school. Arkansas-Pine Bluff had a good year in football and basketball, but is still in the SWAC, so take that for what it's worth. It's Division I in name only. No idea on the prep sports.

It's admirable they're trying to find somebody to lay down roots and unpack their suitcase. Not sure how feasible it is at a paper and town that size, though.

4. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

Pine Bluff covers a quarter of the state, so naturally you'll be covering somebody in the high school state tournament in every sport.

That's not a stretch when all you have to do is finish top four in your district and win one regional game.

Pine Bluff is 50-50 racially, which makes for some interesting politics. But I never ever felt unsafe there, even during the great Philander brawl of 1999.

5. Matt Stephens

Matt Stephens Well-Known Member

Pine Bluff has sent quite a few people up the road to the ADG in Little Rock. Good stepping stone, just not the best place to live.

6. mjhyp3

mjhyp3 New Member

Actually, I only think one member of the current ADG staff, at least when I was there, was a PB alum. I think we had more of our guys come via Conway or NWA to LR.

7. Matt Stephens

Matt Stephens Well-Known Member

I know David Harten, who also does college hoops blogging for NBC Sports, was in Pine Bluff. I'm pretty sure Marty Cook was there, too. Former SE Robert Turbeville works for 247Sports now.

Draft saved Draft deleted