1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Sports Reporter, Pine Bluff (Ark.) Commercial

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by Robert_Turbeville, Jun 6, 2011.

1. SteveMcQueen

SteveMcQueen New Member

Congrats!

2. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

Robert's good people. Worked his tail off for the Demozette.

3. Matt Stephens

Matt Stephens Well-Known Member

http://www.journalismjobs.com/Job_Listing.cfm?JobID=1288530

I know in the SE thread it said IC was going to hire another writer. Looks like that search is beginning:

Company: Pine Bluff Commercial
    Position: Seeking Ace Sports Writer
    Job Status: Full-time
    Salary: Negotiable
    Ad Expires: November 17, 2011
    Job ID: 1288530

Description:

The Pine Bluff (Ark.) Commercial newspaper has an IMMEDIATE OPENING for a sports reporter.
    The reporter will cover local high school athletes and also have some opportunities to cover collegiate basketball at Division II University of Arkansas at Monticello and softball at both Division I University of Arkansas at Pine Bluff and UAM. The summer offers plenty of American Legion and Senior Babe Ruth baseball with features related to other sports. During the fall, the reporter will get to focus on high school football and write weekly notebooks on the fall Olympic sports at UAPB.
    An ability to plan ahead, write accurately and paginate (using InDesign) with sharp attention to detail for all tasks on deadline are musts for this position, as well as experience with Twitter and a desire to learn how to update our website (www.pbcommercial.com).
    If you are seriously interested in the position and would like to become a better sports journalist, please email a cover letter and resume along with three examples of your own page design to icmurrell@gmail.com by SATURDAY, Oct. 15. We would like to move as quickly as possible on this hiring.

4. Matt Stephens

Also note that you have two days to apply.

5. TMagelssen

TMagelssen New Member

I am leaving this position, feel free to message me with any questions. I'd be happy to shed some light on the job.

6. Liut

Liut Well-Known Member

Poison Ivy? Perhaps, perhaps not. When he quirks, it can itch.

7. Stitch

Stitch Active Member

After only four months on the job, I'm betting it's a good one. Are you staying in the biz?

8. Drip

Drip Active Member

He's going to be fine. Leaving for a good reason.

9. Matt Stephens

I'll second that.

10. TMagelssen

TMagelssen New Member

I'm leaving sports for the time being to become the Lubbock-Avalanche-Journal's government reporter. My girlfriend accepted a position with the A-J a couple of weeks ago, which was the main reason behind the move. (She came to Pine Bluff with me, and this better opportunity opened up for her back in LBK, so we decided to head back.)

I recently was offered the job (about 45 minutes ago), so it's nice to know I won't be unemployed while in Lubbock. I will be able to freelance some Texas Tech hoops for the AP, so I won't be entirely out of the realm of sports.

I wanted to say thanks to all the well wishes I received from the fellow sports-journos on the board. It's nice to see such a sense of camaraderie in our profession.

11. Drip

Drip Active Member

I'm glad it came through for you. I think you may find more options for you to move in the business on news side. Best of luck to you.

12. RedSmithClone

RedSmithClone Active Member

I wish I saw this a couple weeks ago, I would have applied.
    Any word on a new hire yet?

Draft saved Draft deleted