1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Sports reporter -- PennLive (Harrisburg, Pa.)

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by boundforboston, Jul 8, 2014.

1. boundforboston

boundforboston Well-Known Member

PA Media Group is seeking a passionate, innovative sports writer to cover high school, college sports and local professional teams in the central Pennsylvania area for PennLive.com and The Patriot-News. We're looking for a reporter who can find, tell and break high-impact stories and transmit useful information to the reader utilizing multimedia formats.

The successful candidate will be a self-starter who is comfortable writing in a mobile environment. Applicants should understand how to write for a digital audience and be proficient in taking photos and video. The position will include enterprise work, columns, analysis and investigative work. Social media skills are a must. This position includes weekend work. A minimum of two years experience required. Send resume, clips and examples of best digital work to msedor@pennlive.com.

http://www.journalismjobs.com/Job_Listing.cfm?JobID=1599543

2. jr/shotglass

jr/shotglass Well-Known Member

Just so there are no surprises -- the print edition is published three times a week. Tuesday-Thursday-Sunday.

That's not to say you wouldn't be working as hard or harder than someone at a daily. The online expectations are especially plentiful.

Any specific questions, PM me. I'll tell you what I can, even though we editors/designers are now in an entirely different building from the writers.

3. Mark2010

Mark2010 Active Member

Any specific idea of what they want someone to do? Daily Penn State coverage? Daily high school coverage? Mix of both? Beat stuff? Or more variable/enterprise stuff (cover a game one night and spend the rest of the week on a feature on budget stuff)?

4. steveu

steveu Well-Known Member

Speaking as someone who works in an Advance shop, I can paraphrase the old Chicago saying: Post early, post often. I can't speak for Harrisburg like Jr can, but I suspect it's something similar.

5. jr/shotglass

Harrisburg, I can hardly tell you about. I've gotten over there about five times in the last three months.

Now, suburban Enola, I'm well-versed. ;)

6. jr/shotglass

To answer a question I'm gotten from a few people -- no, this opening will not include Penn State football coverage, unless something unforeseen occurs. We already have four writers and a dedicated online guy working on that end. And one of those writers is stationed full-time in State College.

Past that, Michael Sedor tells me he's not going to decide on the beats until he lands on a writer.

7. jr/shotglass

Jacqueline Kantor has been hired for the position at PennLive/The Patriot-News. She arrives from the high school sports department at The Washington Post.

Draft saved Draft deleted