1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Sports Reporter, Part-TIme, Yamhill Valley News-Register (McMinnville, Ore)

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by Moderator1, Aug 24, 2012.

1. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

The Yamhill Valley News-Register, a quality family twice-weekly, seeks a part-time sports reporter to help cover preps and Linfield College in McMinnville, Ore. The position is part-time between 15-18 hours a week and does not qualify for benefits.

McMinnville is in a great setting, with Portland, the Oregon Coast and the Cascade Range within easy driving range. Looking for a reporter who is adept in a variety of skills including feature writing and game coverage. Photography and video skills are a bonus.

Applicants can submit a resume, clips, references and a cover letter to Ben Schorzman, Sports Editor, News-Register, P.O. Box 727, McMinnville, OR 97128 or e-mail to bschorzman@newsregister.com. Please, no phone calls.

2. Tom Petty

Tom Petty New Member

ben schorzman, eh? huh. looks like some new developments took place there.

3. HandsomeHarley

HandsomeHarley Well-Known Member

Used to be three days, and called the McMinnville News-Register.

A hell of a little town to visit. Near Portland and Salem, wine country.

4. SoCalDude

SoCalDude Active Member

Is that JD's paper??

5. HandsomeHarley

HandsomeHarley Well-Known Member

I believe it's still privately owned, by the Bladine family.

Steve Bagwell is/was managing editor. Great guy to work for.

Entire newsroom was quality, at least many moons ago, but there's very little turnover, which tells you all you need to know about the quality of the people.

Used to be two full-time sports staffers and two photogs, but I guess it's gone under the knife like everything else.

6. Johnny Dangerously

Johnny Dangerously Well-Known Member

To answer SoCal Dude's question: Yes. I've accepted a full-time editor position with CBSSports.com and will remain in the Pacific Northwest, but my last day as SE will be Sept. 7. I plan to do the Friday night deadline page layouts for the rest of September to help the paper with the transition. Ben, my hire in November 2010 and a tireless worker, will be the sports editor.

Among the challenges he will face with this new structure of the sports department is that he won't have a Ben working 40 or more hours a week for him.

7. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

Congrats Johnny D. Well deserved. I'll take an extra pull on the cpap tonight in your honor.

8. Ben.Breiner

Ben.Breiner Member

Congrats sir.

9. SoCalDude

SoCalDude Active Member

Good news from a good guy. Congrats.

10. Versatile

Versatile Active Member

Congratulations.

Draft saved Draft deleted