1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Sports Reporter/Page Designer -- Opelika-Auburn News

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by Mike Szvetitz, May 25, 2010.

1. Mike Szvetitz

Mike Szvetitz Member

The Opelika-Auburn News (Ala.) is seeking a sports reporter/page designer to complete its four-person staff.

Applicant must be a deadline-driven, self-starter with the ability to write/report, as well as design and copy edit.

The applicant's duties will include desking and reporting, with an emphasis on desking/pagination.

This person must be able to design attractive news pages for a daily newspaper, as well as other printed and web-based products.

Since we are a small shop with an average of 6-8-page sections that is full of local, regional and nation-wide copy, we need someone who can do it all.

The ideal candidate is one who can both report and help run the desk, while making quick decisions about placement and importance of late-breaking stories. This is one of the most important/vital positions in the entire newsroom.

The position is full-time and mostly on the night shift.

Applicant must have daily newspaper experience, with knowledge of Quark, Photoshop, Microsoft Word and Adobe, as well as the ability to cover a beat and write on deadline.

Our section has been named the best in its size by the Alabama Press Association five out of the last six years, including the last four in a row. It's also been named one of the top-10 Sunday sports sections in the country by the Associated Press Sports Editors this past year.

The Opelika-Auburn News is located in Opelika, Ala., in the heart of SEC country with Auburn University in its backyard. We also have 21 high schools in our coverage area, not to mention some of the best golf in the Southeast, if not the country.

To apply, send a cover letter, resume with clips -- both design and writing -- as well as a list of references to Sports Editor Mike Szvetitz at mszvetitz@oanow.com.

I'm also available for questions over e-mail, so please don't hesitate to contact me.

2. Drip

Drip Active Member

Mike, didn't you have an opening similar to this one about six months ago?

3. Mike Szvetitz

Mike Szvetitz Member

We haven't had an opening in almost a year and a half. The last one we had open was a preps job in January 2009.

This particular job was open more than three years ago.

4. bakist

bakist New Member

This says sports reporter/page designer, but reads like it's heavy on the page design aspect. Percentage wise, what's the split between reporting/writing and desk duties?

5. Andrew Gribble

Andrew Gribble New Member

From personal and current experience, I can vouch that Mike is a great boss and overall good guy. Feel free to PM me for any other information.

6. Mike Szvetitz

Mike Szvetitz Member

The job would require desking about between 3-4 nights a week, depending on the season and what's going on in a particular week.

But I'd like to clarify that this isn't just a "design" job that has to have someone who's been a designer/paginator forever -- or whatever is the industry standard for "experienced" is.

I'm looking at this as a great opportunity for us to hire the best fit (I sound like an AD) for our paper, and use the hire's strengths, whether it be reporting, designing, whatever, to make us a better section.

Right now, the position calls for more desking than reporting, but that could change.

I'm not limiting this position to just a designer. If you're a reporter, who's looking for a change or a challenge, apply. A recent college grad who might not have tons of experience, but loves the job and wants an opportunity, apply. Again, I want the best fit, regardless of "expertise."

Again, if you have specific questions, please email me.

7. Bamadog

Bamadog Well-Known Member

Mike is excellent people. Great opportunity for a young buck.

8. Rockbottom

Rockbottom Well-Known Member

A good small paper that covers quite a bit of stuff.

rb

9. Tim Cottrell

Tim Cottrell New Member

I know a bit about this job and would be happy to answer any questions via PM.

10. David Morrison

David Morrison New Member

I also know a bit about this job and the paper and the area and blah blah blah. Let's keep the PM train going!

11. times38

times38 Member

This would be a good job for someone looking to learn. Very, very strong sports staff, especially for a paper its size.

12. WS

WS Member

I've had dealings with all of these guys over the years and I can safely say they're great to deal with and put out an A-plus section.

Draft saved Draft deleted