1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Sports reporter/page designer, Opelika-Auburn News

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by Mike Szvetitz, Mar 23, 2007.

1. Mike Szvetitz

Mike Szvetitz Member

The Opelika-Auburn News (Ala.) is seeking a sports reporter/page designer to complete its four-person staff.

Applicant must be a deadline-driven individual with the ability to read and write sports stories and spot mistakes and style errors quickly.

This person must be able to design attractive news pages for a daily newspaper as well as other printed and Web-based products.

The ideal candidate is one who can run the desk 4-5 nights per week and is able to make quick decisions about placement and importance of late-breaking stories.

The position is full-time and mostly on the night shift.

Applicant must have at least one year of daily newspaper experience. Knowledge of Quark, Photoshop, Microsoft Word and Adobe is a must.

The Opelika-Auburn News is an award-winning seven-day-a-week newspaper and is located in a brand-new, 40,000-square-foot building in a growing, sports-loving, vibrant college community in Auburn/Opelika (Ala.)
    To apply, send resume with clips and a list of references to Sports Editor Mike Szvetitz at mszvetitz@oanow.com or mail them to 2901 Society Hill Road, Opelika, AL 36801 c/o Mike Szvetitz.

2. ServeItUp

ServeItUp Active Member

Between running the desk four or five nights a week, reading copy, designing news pages, doing stuff for the Web and doing a "fair share" of writing, I feel entitled to ask when the successful applicant's days off are.

3. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

Who left?

4. Mike Szvetitz

Mike Szvetitz Member

OK, after re-reading what I wrote, I know the job sounds impossible. So I made some edits.

Days off are normally Sundays and Mondays, but that could vary.

As far as the "fair share" of writing goes ... what I should have said is there is an opportunity for the person to write as much as he/she would like, but the main focus is desking.

Sorry for the confusion.

5. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

Who left?

6. Mike Szvetitz

Mike Szvetitz Member

Tim Ritter. He got a job at the Fort Myers News-Press as one of their desk guys.

Draft saved Draft deleted