1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Sports Reporter/page designer- Gainesville, GA

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by BrianM, Apr 23, 2014.

1. BrianM

BrianM Member

From Jjobs.....
    Company: The Times
    Position: Sports reporter/page designer
    Job Status: Full-time
    Salary: Negotiable
    Ad Expires: May 27, 2014
    Job ID: 1494870

Description: The Times is seeking a full-time sports writer to round out our award-winning sports team. The ideal candidate will have two or more years of experience covering local sports news, game stories and features. We are looking for writers who can tell a story clearly in a lively manner and produce a healthy amount of copy on daily deadlines. Editing and page design experience also is desired, as some desk work is required. Knowledge of Adobe In-Design also is a plus.

Our sports staff provides extensive, in-depth coverage of high schools and other local sports in the Northeast Georgia area. He or she must be able to work with sources in the community to develop strong local stores; communicate well with the sports editor and other staff members; help devise strong visual presentation and innovative ideas; and produce copy quickly for both print and online use. Social media experience also is a plus. Bachelor’s degree in journalism or related field is required.

We offer paid vacation, benefits and 401(k) profit sharing. The Times is an award-winning, community-driven daily paper. Located on Lake Lanier just a short drive from Atlanta, Athens and the Northeast Georgia mountains, the area offers many recreational, educational and cultural amenities.

Interviews will begin immediately and continue until the position is filled. Salary is based on experience. Send cover letter, resume and five samples of your work to hr@gainesvilletimes.com or P.O. Box 838, Gainesville, GA 30503.

2. Time2getonHere

Time2getonHere New Member

Hmmm, bad sign that not a single comment on this?

3. BrianM

BrianM Member

On this site, if no one has anything negative to say about one of these listings, it's generally a pretty good sign.

4. DeskMonkey1

DeskMonkey1 Active Member

Can't speak for the job but the area is nice. Really nice. If I felt the pay was good enough, I'd strongly consider it. In fact, I might apply anyway just to get my resume in front of their eyes for future consideration.

5. Nathan_C_Deen

Nathan_C_Deen New Member

I work in Georgia and have found The Gainesville Time to be a very solid paper. I believe the sports staff consist of three reporters, an editor and a copy editor. Something along those lines. I applied for a similar position at this paper last year and would reapply if I didn't start a new job nine months ago. The sports editor is a really nice guy and knows his stuff. The prep coverage in that area is very good. Gainesville High won the Class 5A state title two years ago, and Buford wins Class AAA just about every year. This year's Buford team was the most ridiculously good high school football team I've ever seen. They beat Gainesville 38-14 I think. This place gets my seal of approval.

6. What Nathan said.

Area's nice, not far from some really great outdoor recreation at Lake Lanier, the people there I've crossed paths with have been good and the sports department can kill it on preps.

There's definitely some prominent preps going on up there, including recently Alabama QB Blake Sims out of Gainesville High. I don't know why they don't cover UGA, but I imagine they could get credentialed as they're less than an hour away.

7. Mark2010

Mark2010 Active Member

Do they cover anything besides the high schools?

8. TGO157

TGO157 Active Member

They may do some training camp Falcons stuff because Flowery Branch is right down the road.

9. Time2getonHere

Time2getonHere New Member

OK. Thanks for the info. Can't keep just doing the weekly paper thing!

Draft saved Draft deleted