1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Sports reporter, Paducah (Ky.) Sun

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by steveu, Jan 8, 2007.

1. Tarheel316

Tarheel316 Well-Known Member

Having once worked for a Paxton paper, I'd recommend staying away from them. They are extremely rigid in how they do things and quite unfair.

2. Hank_Scorpio

Hank_Scorpio Active Member

Oh the stories I could tell from working at a Paxton paper.

I've told the laptop one a hundred times on here. In brief, they buy a new laptop so photogs can send from faraway sites, but don't pay the monthly Internet fee because there would be months it wouldn't get used at all.

Very, very, very, very cheap. Also slow to fill openings in editorial.

3. I can definitely vouch for this claim, seeing I'm in the same situation.

4. Damn it, that's why we need to unionize our work forces. A lot of people I know are anti-union because they cause people who don't deserve their jobs to be unfirable, and they may stunt total economic growth in many situations, but, Christ, I'd rather have that than the deterioration or elimination of thousands of livelihoods caused by ruthless, greedy corporations.

5. Central-KY-Kid

Central-KY-Kid Well-Known Member

Which writer is no longer there. I thought the Sun's sports staff had been together for a while ...

6. OrangeGrad

OrangeGrad Member

Is Paxton worse than Gannett?

7. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Well-Known Member

Gannett is Utopia when compared to Paxton.

8. OrangeGrad

OrangeGrad Member

Paxton is that bad? I find that hard to believe.

9. You find it hard to believe, huh.
    It's already been brought up on what Paxton did to Durham, N.C., and Paducah is Paxton's mothership.
    Other things done by Paxton newspapers -- playing Pearl Harbor to employees, calling them in while they were on vacation to tell them they were fired, as well as telling staff photographers they need to be in the office more often, then firing them when told they were crazy. The list goes on -- trust me, it's one to avoid unless you're just desperate for work.

10. printdust

printdust New Member

I know this paper has had two standing offers of good replacements and has chosen to look at neither. Resumes have been there for some time. Hence, they want CHEAP.

11. Tarheel316

Tarheel316 Well-Known Member

Orangegrad, obviously you haven't worked for a Paxton paper. I have and let me tell you everything being said here is right on the money.

12. OrangeGrad

OrangeGrad Member

Tarheel, you're right, I haven't. I've always heard that Gannett was the Evil Empire, the worst out there, which is why I'm interested to hear all this about Paxton.

Draft saved Draft deleted