1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Sports Reporter, Owosso, MI

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by jla74m, Aug 9, 2011.

1. jla74m

jla74m Member

Company: The Argus-Press
    Position: Sports writer
    Job Status: Full-time
    Salary: $20,000 to $25,000
    Ad Expires: September 12, 2011
    Job ID: 691502

Description:

The Argus-Press of Owosso, Michigan (9,000 daily) is seeking a writer for its three-person sports staff. Our staff members not only cover games, but should be prepared to write strong features; lay out pages; take photos on occasion; update our website, Facebook and Twitter accounts; and lend a hand wherever else may be necessary on our close-knit staff. We primarily cover sports for 10 area high schools, but we also keep track of our former athletes who've gone on to collegiate action and report on a thriving recreation sports community. Email resumes and clips to Managing Editor Dan Basso at drbasso@argus-press.com.

2. jla74m

jla74m Member

I have information on this job. Interested persons may PM me for details.

3. baddecision

baddecision Active Member

The staff has to be close-knit. At these wages, they have to huddle together for warmth.

4. Hank_Scorpio

Hank_Scorpio Active Member

It's been on here a few times now.

I believe it's a six-day daily (although it may only be five). 3-person sports staff for a 9K isn't bad.

The last time it was on the board was because a guy had moved on to a bigger paper in Michigan.

Owosso is in between Lansing and Flint (probably closer to Flint).

5. spikechiquet

spikechiquet Well-Known Member

Not sure if the ME is still the former SE, but if it is...expect to get micro-manged to death.
    Also, don't have surgery and expect to get sympathy when you need to take time off because you can't get to work. They'll just bitch about it.
    None of this is personal experience...but haven't heard many good words about that place.

6. Illino

Illino Member

I interviewed there last time it was open, but was declined because of my lack of preps and photo experience at the time. I got a good vibe off the interview, though.

This, however, is coming from someone without very high standards/career goals.

7. Stitch

Stitch Active Member

What's not to love about living in a Rust Belt town that has no hope?

8. TwoGloves

TwoGloves Well-Known Member

Owosso is about 25 miles west of Flint, 30 miles east of Lansing. Not a whole lot to cover there outside of preps.

9. gianteck

gianteck New Member

I worked at the paper for several years out of college and left 3 years ago for a bigger paper. The current managing editor was SE during my time there and was a good guy to work for.

This is a great first job for someone fresh out of college. It's a lot of prep, but you'll be given plenty of opportunities. When I was there, they taught me design (Quark) and gave me a chance to occasionally cover the Detroit pro teams, Michigan and Michigan State. Again, a great place to spend the first few years of your career.

Draft saved Draft deleted