1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Sports reporter, Ottumwa Courier

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by TrooperBari, Jul 27, 2007.

1. TrooperBari

TrooperBari Well-Known Member

http://www.journalismjobs.com/Job_Listing.cfm?JobID=808917

The Ottumwa Courier is seeking a highly-motivated sports reporter who can cover a variety of high school and collegiate sports. The Courier is a six-day week morning daily (14,000 circ.) covering about a dozen southern Iowa high schools and Indian Hills Community College. Experience with Quark, Photoshop and Macs a plus. If you want to be a part of an award-winning sports team, send resume, cover letter and at least three of your best sports writing samples to: sports@ottumwacourier.com or James Grob, Sports Editor, Ottumwa Courier, 213 E. Second St. Ottumwa, Iowa 52501.

-------------------

The paper is owned by Community Newspaper Holdings (out of Alabama). Ottumwa's population is just under 25,000. I'm sure Radar and his folks would be happy to introduce you to a few people.

If the night life isn't sufficient for you, it's:

88 miles to Dead Moines
    95 miles to Iowa City
    118 miles to Ames
    122 miles to Cedar Rapids
    219 miles to Kansas City
    222 miles to Omaha
    320 miles to Chicago

2. Chi City 81

Chi City 81 Guest

Oh, goody! A CNHI paper!

3. TrooperBari

TrooperBari Well-Known Member

So that's what that stands for.

Thanks, Doc.

4. It's not Ottuma!!

5. Danny Noonan

Danny Noonan Member

Choppers, choppers...paging Radar O'Reilly...

6. Writer33

Writer33 Member

Noonan, you beat me to it. ;D

7. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

Actually Trooper beat both of ya.

8. Makes you wonder if this famous line by Radar has been quoted by anybody working there:
    "I don't think that this place is turning out to be that great an experience for me. I mean, I work under terrible pressure, and there's lots of death and destruction and stuff, but other than that I don't think I'm getting much out of it."

9. JBHawkEye

JBHawkEye Well-Known Member

I'm glad they're going to be able to fill this spot _ last I heard, they were going to have to wait.

Ottumwa has one high school (and a pretty good one in terms of sports) and the newspaper covers several rural schools. Indian Hills Community College has a pretty impressive track record in sports, and has a pretty strong following among the readers. Haven't seen the paper lately, so I can't tell you how the design is or what else they cover.

Draft saved Draft deleted