1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Sports reporter, Orlando Sentinel

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by Tim Stephens, Mar 4, 2011.

1. mediaguy

mediaguy Well-Known Member

How many writing openings does Orlando/Lauderdale have right now? Five?

2. Tim Stephens

Tim Stephens Member

3. Fran Curci

Fran Curci Well-Known Member

Writers from Orlando who became "superstars?" That might be putting it a little strongly. How about writers from Orlando who got surprisingly good jobs?

4. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

I think the jobs Hill, Robinson, Schad, Brewer, Macur, Maese and Adelson have are all "superstar" jobs.

5. I always get a nice chuckle out of the revisionist history that seems to permeate this board. One of the names mentioned on this thread was an absolute trainwreck before falling ass-backward into a higher-profile job. And because of that, this person is now seen as a "superstar"? What a country.

And, no, I'm not talking about Whitlock. To suggest he's not talented, whether you agree with him or not, is ludicrous. He's not typically my cup of tea, but the guy clearly has talent, different as it might be from many of the others mentioned here.

6. jeffgreer

jeffgreer New Member

These guys do a great job covering preps, and their lead prep guy Buddy Collings is as good as it gets in Florida. This will be a really good gig for someone.

7. esport12

esport12 Member

how many preps reporters do they have?

8. accguy

accguy Member

And Mizzou didn't even include Jeremy Fowler or Dave Curtis on his list of prominent Sentinel alumni.

9. FreddiePatek

FreddiePatek Active Member

KC Star: Ernest Hemingway :)

10. eastsidescribe

eastsidescribe New Member

K.C. Star is hard to top in the feeder category.

11. Surprised Jeff Passan didn't get a mention earlier. He's terrific. There's some very good young talent on staff there now, too, although based on the prevailing logic, I suppose they won't be any good until they leave.

Regardless, Orlando and KC have always been good at discovering and advancing young writers. Back toward the real topic here, whomever gets the job in Orlando will be on an enviable track.

12. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

Both are outstanding.

Draft saved Draft deleted