1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Sports reporter, Northwest Herald

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by JonStyf, Aug 9, 2012.

1. JonStyf

JonStyf Member

We will be hiring a sports reporter at The Northwest Herald. This is to replace Ross Jacobson, who has been hired to be the sports editor of The Daily Chronicle.

My first day in Crystal Lake is Aug. 20, so try to apply before then so I can get started on the search immediately.

Here's the link: http://www.journalismjobs.com/Job_Listing.cfm?JobID=1401931

Description:

The Northwest Herald, a 34,000-circulation daily newspaper based in Chicago's far northwest suburbs, is seeking a reporter to join its award-winning team of sports writers. This is a full-time position with a primary focus on prep sports, with some pro and college sports assignments and column-writing responsibilities.

Our team works hard to compete in a crowded market where we aren't the biggest player but own our coverage area, largely because of our prep sports coverage. We need someone who understands that although the way in which we deliver information continues to expand and evolve, the core of what we do – telling meaningful stories about sports and those who play – remains the same. In addition to writing, preferred candidates will have some on-camera experience as well as ability to build and connect with our audience through social media.

The hours for this position call for night and weekend availability. Candidates should have a college degree in journalism or related field and previous experience. This position requires a thorough understanding of AP style and demonstrated ability to excel on deadline. Must have a valid drivers license, dependable transportation and proof of insurance.

Qualified candidates should send a résumé, cover letter, and work samples to:

Shaw Media - Human Resources
    Attn: Sports Writer
    PO Box 250, Crystal Lake, IL 60039
    OR E-mail: [ mailto:editorialrecruitment@shawmedia.co ]editorialrecruitment@shawmedia.com

Visit www.shawsuburbanmedia.com/careers to view all Shaw Media career opportunities.

2. LemMan

LemMan Member

Can't speak for the paper and/or the area. But I know Jon Styf is a good guy and a hard worker. You could work for far, far worse.

3. JonStyf

JonStyf Member

Just a reminder. I start on Monday and will be looking through packets starting then. Please apply before then.

Thank you,

Jon

4. Todd M. Adams

Todd M. Adams Member

This is a great smaller paper and Jon is a great guy. Can't go wrong here. And it's big Cubs country. So it's got that going for it. Which is nice.

5. JonStyf

JonStyf Member

A brief update. I contacted everyone who is a candidate going forward today. Thank you to all of those who applied. Unfortunately, I cannot respond individually to all who did not make the cut.

6. JonStyf

JonStyf Member

This job has been filled.

Jeff Arnold, formerly of the Ann Arbor News and AnnArbor.com, started on Friday and was immediately sent to a high school football game that ran way late. He certainly passed the test.

7. steveu

steveu Well-Known Member

You hired HIM?

(Disclosure: Jeff used to work as a freelancer alongside me at my shop. I knew him in passing because I started as he was leaving. Great guy. Glad to see him land somewhere good. :)

8. Mark2010

Mark2010 Active Member

OUCH!!

I always felt coming into a new market cold without knowing the teams, people, etc. was one of the hardest things to do.

9. LWillhite

LWillhite Member

OUCH!!

I always felt coming into a new market cold without knowing the teams, people, etc. was one of the hardest things to do.

[/quote]

Not to worry. Jeff's a suburban Chicago native. He'll catch up quickly. He'd catch up quickly even if he wasn't.

Draft saved Draft deleted