1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Sports Reporter | Northwest Florida Daily News (Fort Walton Beach, FL)

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by MiamiBoy, Aug 1, 2017.

1. MiamiBoy

MiamiBoy Active Member

The Northwest Florida Daily News, a daily newspaper in the heart of the Emerald Coast, is seeking an experienced, energetic reporter who has a passion for sports. The ideal candidate will be the go-to resource for community and middle school sports in our three-county coverage area. This person should be equally comfortable writing for the outdoors page. The reporter should be able to take photos and videos, as well as being comfortable with all forms of social media including Facebook, Twitter and Instagram.

The successful candidate will have a college degree or minimum of two years newspaper experience, and must be able to produce on tight deadlines. Strong reporting and writing skills are needed, as is an understanding of AP style. The right candidate will be a good communicator as well, working with the coaches and athletes in our area. A valid driver's license and a reliable vehicle are required. Night and weekend work is expected.

Interested applicants should forward published clips, a resume and cover letter to Seth Stringer at sstringer@nwfdailynews.com

Gatehouse Media Group offers a competitive benefit package including medical, dental, vision, life insurance and more. Drug-free workplace, EOE.

2. Jake_Taylor

Jake_Taylor Well-Known Member

The fucking middle school beat?

3. TGO157

TGO157 Active Member

I used to work here. Middle school sports is basically championships for major sports and that's all, unless it has changed in the last year.

High school sports and some outdoors stuff (big annual beach volleyball tourney called "Fuds," the Emerald Coast Blue Marlin Classic, etc.) are the breads and butters. NWF State is an elite JUCO program for men's bball and baseball. You'll cover D-1 talent there, although community interest is a bit on the poo side because it's a JUCO.

Niceville High rules the roost when it comes to HS sports, but Navarre is growing and Navarre High is catching up across the board. I lived in Destin for the first 6 months I was there and commuted the 20 minutes across Okalossa Island to FWB. I lucked out and did it from August until February. I wouldn't make that drive through one-road Destin during spring or summer. It's packed. But Destin is one of the nicest towns to chill at during the fall. 30A is awesome, too.

Whomever gets hired, ask Nick Tomecek to take you to Papa Joe's Hideaway. Great wings, legendary curly fries. You'll get two or three curly-fry crowns (the grease causes like 4 of them to stick together to form a big curly-fry ball) in each batch.

Seth is a great boss. The newsroom is young. The managing editor is a former sports editor at the Pensacola paper.

MiamiBoy likes this.
  4. BillFromMaryland

BillFromMaryland New Member

This job advert makes me sad ...

5. Riptide

Riptide Well-Known Member

"Goddammit, our seventh-graders work their asses off!!!!"

Jake_Taylor likes this.
  6. Riptide

Dude, you can get great wings and curly fries anywhere. And without covering those fuckin' middle schools ... :cool:

7. MiamiBoy

MiamiBoy Active Member

I mean, in smaller towns/papers, you wind up covering youth (little league baseball). I just wonder how much more they expand on that type of coverage.

8. Riptide

"Well, to be honest, ma'am, I love covering your daughter's middle school team, but I came here for the curly fries."

TGO157 and dixiehack like this.
  9. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

Followed by the inevitable "but you never cover the sixth graders, and they try just as hard" call/text/email.

10. TGO157

TGO157 Active Member

You go for the curly fries. You come back for the curly-fry crowns.

11. mn67

mn67 New Member

has this been filled? Saw the former reporter got a gig covering the Gamecocks.

12. AndrettiSJ

AndrettiSJ Member

If this position is open I would like to apply for this, is Seth a member on here?

Draft saved Draft deleted