1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Sports Reporter, North Andover, Mass.

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by Drip, Jul 31, 2009.

1. Boomer7

Boomer7 Active Member

I'd suspect it's at the lower end of that range, especially nowadays, based on personal experience.

Four or five years ago, the section was really good. The reduction of the news hole has taken a serious toll on the quality, though. What once was regularly a 5-page section is often 3 pages now.

2. RedSmithClone

RedSmithClone Active Member

Man I miss five-page sections.

3. Boomer7

Boomer7 Active Member

They still exist, Josh ... buy a Globe! :)

4. RedSmithClone

You silly man, I meant I miss working at a paper with a five-page news hole in sports.

5. Boomer7

Boomer7 Active Member

OK, then -- Get a job at the Globe!

6. RedSmithClone

You made me laugh so much I got a bloody nose. Now they have to shut my current shop down for two weeks.

7. RedSmithClone

Even with high school season in full swing, word is they are still hunting for their new hire? A source at the office said they are "looking for a star at $30,000." So that gives you a price range and an idea of what they are searching for.

8. JimmyHoward33

JimmyHoward33 Well-Known Member

Heard there was a hire but not concretely

9. DCguy

DCguy Member

SE told me that they had their guy.

10. supabassmon

supabassmon New Member

$30,000 a year, so after taxes and health insurance....that's $440 a year take home. How can anyone live off of that these days? Managers at Dunkin Donuts and McDonalds make more money!

11. JimmyHoward33

JimmyHoward33 Well-Known Member

Alas 30k is actually more than a lot of starting salaries I've seen around the business...though I tend to agree asking for a star at that is akin to trying to find your starting QB in the 7th round. Tough to cultivate young talent when that talent can't help but continually think about jumping into a new career path...

12. RedSmithClone

damn straight Jimmy

Draft saved Draft deleted