1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Sports Reporter, Newton, Iowa

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by Bristol Whipped, Jul 22, 2010.

1. Per JournalismJobs.com -- http://www.journalismjobs.com/Job_Listing.cfm?JobID=1186727

The Newton Daily News, a five-day daily newspaper in central Iowa, is seeking an energetic sports reporter with a passion for going beyond the routine game story.

Maybe you're a recent college graduate, or a seasoned veteran just looking for a change of scenery, you'll have the chance to do a bit of everything with us from writing stories — including features and columns — to taking pictures and designing eye-popping layout. Newton sports offers a bit of everything, from the five high schools in our coverage area to the Iowa Speedway, a world-class racing facility featuring Indy Racing League and NASCAR events.

Successful candidates will have a college degree in journalism or related field or relevant job experience. Previous newspaper experience preferred, but we're willing to hire the right candidate out of school. Experience with Adobe InDesign, Photoshop and iMovie also a plus.

Must possess and maintain a valid driver's license, proof of insurance, reliable transportation and acceptable motor vehicle record. Pre-employment drug screen and background check required.

Please e-mail or mail your resumé, references and three of your best clips to: Andy Karr, Editor, Newton Daily News, Newton, Iowa, 50208. akarr@newtondailynews.com

The Newton Daily News is an equal opportunity employer and a drug-free workplace.

2. murphyc

murphyc Well-Known Member

Wow, they actually came up with a new ad since I left there two years ago!
    For some basics: two-man sports department. There are five schools (Newton is the main focus), football and wrestling are huge. No staff photog (there are a couple of guys in the area that help out when they can), paper provides equipment. When I was there the equipment was a tired Nikon D1 and really tired Nikon D100. I used my own equipment.
    Newton is about 15K. Iowa Speedway hosts IndyCar in June. Last year they added Camping World Truck Series and Nationwide Series. Plenty of speculation the track could land a Cup date in the future. Rusty Wallace designed the facility.
    Afternoon paper, so late nights and early mornings. Long hours and low pay, but the good thing is cost of living is pretty low. We rented a decent house with lots of storage space for something like $500 a month, plus Iowa has cheap insurance.
    Any questions, PM me and I'll answer what I can.

Draft saved Draft deleted