1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Sports Reporter- Newton, IA

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by Zads07, Feb 19, 2014.

1. Zads07

Zads07 Member

From jjobs.com
    http://www.journalismjobs.com/Job_Listing.cfm?JobID=1565666

Company: The Newton Daily News
    Position:
    Seeking a Sports Reporter for a 21st Century
    Newspaper
    Job Status: Full-time
    Salary: Not Specified
    Ad Expires:
    March 26, 2014
    Job ID: 1565666

Description:

The Newton Daily News, a five-day daily newspaper located in Newton, Iowa, is seeking a sports reporter to assist with its award-winning sports effort. Our newspaper has a 21st century digital-first mindset with a 24-7 web-first approach to breaking news, and a digital outreach that includes social media, text alerts and video reporting.

Newton is the county seat of Jasper County, Iowa, and as such we cover the six area high school sports programs, numerous youth sports leagues and local athletes who have gone on to college and the pros. Newton also is home to Iowa Speedway, which features numerous NASCAR and IndyCar races each year.

Ideal candidates should have a bachelor's degree in journalism or a related field, but we really want to know what you're able to do in a modern newsroom. Previous newspaper sports department experience is a plus. A firm grasp of AP style and experience with pagination (we use InDesign) and video- and photo-editing software is vital.

The Newton Daily News is part of Shaw Media. We offer a competitive salary and a comprehensive benefit package. We are an equal opportunity employer and a drug-free workplace. A pre-employment drug screen and background check will be required. Qualified applicants must possess and maintain a valid driver's license and automobile insurance.

As a Skilled Iowa employer, we give preference to applicants who have obtained the National Career Readiness Certificate.

Send resume, cover letter and 3-4 of your best clips to: NDN Editor Bob Eschliman at beschliman@newtondailynews.com or via mail to P.O. Box 967 Newton, Iowa, 50208.

2. bmereness

bmereness Member

I had never heard of this, after a quick google search the answer I came up with is: what the hell is this bullshit to have to take another 'ACT' test? Is my damn degree not enough anymore?

3. Packerfan4

Packerfan4 New Member

I was a sports reporter in Newton from 2010-2012. My first full-time gig. If you're right out of college, it's not a bad place to start and get some clips. You'll write A LOT. It's an afternoon paper, so there's no deadline pressure, but having no Saturday-Sunday paper means your Friday night football/basketball stories won't appear in print until Monday. No night deadline also means you'll inevitably end up doing a lot of your writing at home.

The drawback with this job is salary. My "competitive salary" was 21k during my two years there. Like I said, it's OK for someone looking for their first gig, but yeah...

Also, Newton is kind of a shady town. Really no sense of nightlife. You have to go to Des Moines for that, which is a 35-40 minute drive east.

The sports turnover rate seems to be about 2 years. I was there for 2.5 and left because of the salary. My coworker left soon after.

As far as the "National Career Readiness" BS, that must be something they added recently. I never heard of it until this job post.

Feel free to reply or PM me for any other info on working there or the area.

4. bmereness

bmereness Member

Upon further research, it appears that the NCRC is replacing the GED in some states... How insulting is that? I know I won't be applying here.

5. Mark2010

Mark2010 Active Member

really? I had never heard of the National Career Readiness Certificate.

Of course, back when I was in school, we were encouraged to, you know, actually graduate rather than leave early to enter the trade workers draft.

Draft saved Draft deleted