1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Sports reporter needed in Texas

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by laredotimes, Nov 24, 2006.

1. laredotimes

laredotimes New Member

Laredo Morning Times needs a hot sports reporter who's looking to make a name for himself - or herself. Laredo is a city of 220,000 on the Texas-Mexico border and has four minor league teams - hockey, baseball, soccer and arena football; several university and community college teams, including the national championship tennis team in its division; and seven high schools that could easily be the focus of Friday Night Lights. Some experience or good internships required; experience with editing and/or paginating a plus. Send your resume and clips to Editor Diana R. Fuentes, dfuentes@lmtonline.com

2. CarlSpackler

CarlSpackler Active Member

I am not a hot sports reporter, only a slightly above-average looking one. (Although compared to fellow scribes some consider me quite dashing). Can I still apply?

3. Editude

Editude Active Member

Not strong high school teams here, and the circulation is tiny compared with the size of the market. Pay is low, and there's the thrill of being in a drug-war crossfire. Tread at your own risk.

4. Tarheel316

Tarheel316 Well-Known Member

Carl, you're hired.

5. boots

boots New Member

DiDi Fuentes is good people. The job gets the boots seal of approval. You will work hard and you will learn the business in many areas.

6. novelist_wannabe

novelist_wannabe Well-Known Member

How's their minority hiring, boots?

7. Mystery_Meat

Mystery_Meat Guest

A quick glance made me think this was Daisy Fuentes.

8. boots

boots New Member

Much betterthan most. Again,this has the boots seal of approval.

9. txsportsscribe

txsportsscribe Active Member

just think twice before planning an excursion over the border. saw a news report over the weekend where they referred to nuevo laredo as "little baghdad."

10. boots

boots New Member

Yes, it is a place where you can become a statistic very quickly.

11. SoSueMe

SoSueMe Active Member

That's too bad. A ball player I covered when he was in high school plays for the Palominos. Hope he stays outta trouble. He was/is a good kid.

12. fatking

fatking New Member

I know several people from Laredo, and as long as you don't cross over to Nuevo, you're in good shape. From what I've heard, I'll have to agree with Boots. It is a Hearst paper, and I know one of their former writers is now one of the main prep guys at the San Antonio Express-News, another Hearstie. If you need experience, it's not a bad place. The sports editor has been there forever. It is a small circulation, and not sure about the pay. They have an af2 team, a DII college, and some semi-pro baseball and hockey teams I believe. They also have like six or seven 5A schools. Not sure how much reporting/desk work is involved, but I do have some knowledge of the area as well. PM me if you're interested...

Draft saved Draft deleted