1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Sports reporter - Naples (Fla.) Daily News

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by Suicide Squeezer, Nov 25, 2008.

1. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

with a typical butthurt folo.

2. Fredrick

Fredrick Well-Known Member

I'd be shocked if it paid 30,000 but what the hell do I know?

3. jimmydangles

jimmydangles Member

Man, I want this job. I could move into the parents' condo and cover the Everblades. Other than the putrid stink of old, I see nothing wrong with this gig.

4. Wrong.

And in a climate where everybody is getting laid off, the fact this job _ at a place that cut 34 peopled a couple of weeks ago as part of a Scripps-wide purge _ is even open is a small miracle.

The SE and the ASEs are both good guys. The place is old, but looking at some of the other gigs on the jobs board, you could do a lot worse than living in a place where it's 72 degrees on Christmas.

I have no exact details on the gig, but feel free to PM me with questions on what it's like down there.

5. Double J

Double J Active Member

"See, they're getting a bunch of old geezers down there from the northeast. And what do you think those old geezers really miss in Florida?"

"I think there are a lot of shysters in Florida."

"Hockey. Their own team. A Saturday night game. Those poor old people down there, they gotta have something to root for."

;D

6. IGotQuestions

IGotQuestions Member

Naples (pop. about 22,000 I think; county has about 200,000) is quite upscale. The median income is significantly higher than the U.S. median. Many, many famous retirees there, too.

There are dozens and dozens of great golf courses. I think Naples calls itself Golf Capital of the World or something like that. A lot of cool things to do if you have money. No idea what that reporter job pays, but it's not cheap in Naples. A couple closeby cheaper towns in the county to live in though. Tons of art and performing arts and ritzy shops. Corkscrew Sanctuary swamp and Sanibel Island are cool places to visit. Everglades are nearby.

The paper is OK based on what I've seen. Nothing special, but not bad. Saw lots of AP stuff in it when I was there last winter.

7. strunk_you

strunk_you Member

interesting cross threading...

i applied for a reporter gig in naples once and was pretty much told to look elsewhere since they were in need of a minority candidate.

SE never asked if i am a minority, just (incorrectly) assumed i am not. we talked it out. i'm good with it.

if i recall, the paper had just come off some episode in recent years where a columnist angered the rap community.

it would be interesting to know how hard they're looking for minority candidates these days considering the economy, layoffs, etc.

8. KUjhawk02

KUjhawk02 Member

Any movement on this one?

9. bigpern23

bigpern23 Well-Known Member

Pipeline says they're in a hiring freeze at the moment. They've apparently lost two reporters the last six months and have yet to replace either.

10. Hookem06

Hookem06 New Member

I couldn't even get a returned phone call from this place. Did they freeze the phone lines too?

11. thebigd

thebigd Member

You expected a phone call? These days, we are luck enough to get an e-mail. About the only time you will get a phone call if you are a finalist for a job somewhere

Draft saved Draft deleted