1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Sports Reporter -- Naples Daily News

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by WoodyWommack, Jun 23, 2012.

1. WoodyWommack

WoodyWommack Member

Hey guys, I'm leaving my gig at the Naples Daily News and figured I'd share news of the vacancy. The job is covering the Florida Everblades (ECHL) and serving as the backup high school reporter.

From what I gather, the position isn't officially open yet but will be very soon.

I was here for three years and enjoyed it very much. The snowbirds and the full-time residents take their hockey very seriously down here and the NDN covers the Everblades like it's a "real" pro team. The high school sports scene is also pretty good, and is highlighted by Immokalee and Naples High, two quality programs. Florida Gulf Coast University, a D-1 school, is also in the coverage area.

If you're interested send your stuff to my old boss, Greg Hardwig (ghardwig@naplesnews.com).

If you want to know anything else, feel free to email me at woodywommack@gmail.com

2. Blogtastic

Blogtastic Member

Given Woody's recommendation, looks like a good gig.

3. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

Way back in the day I'd travel to Naples every fall to cover my local school getting lambasted by Naples High in the playoffs. Solid paper, great area, superb golf.

4. TheWhiskeyDiaries

TheWhiskeyDiaries New Member

I can attest that this has been a great paper. And stable.

5. Jsat12

Jsat12 New Member

any specifics on what we should send in to apply? Resume and clips I'm assuming, cover letter too maybe?

6. bbb1978

bbb1978 Member

Jsat12, ask your Career Counselor whether or not you should send any cover letter for any job whatsoever. Let me know what he or she says.

7. Jsat12

Jsat12 New Member

I assume most of the time to do it and have a cover letter but some places don't ask for them

8. Tarheel316

Tarheel316 Well-Known Member

Even if they don't ask, you should still send one.

9. Stitch

Stitch Active Member

I'd stick to mowing lawns and not announcing every place you've applied to.

10. slc10

slc10 Member

I would consider applying if I didn't have a heavy dislike for hockey. I had the managing partner of the Gwinnett Gladiators (he lives in the same county I do) try to convince me otherwise but I never went to a game.

11. CW89

CW89 New Member

Hockey is the best sport to see live.

12. dirtybird

dirtybird Well-Known Member

Did this one ever get filled?

Draft saved Draft deleted