1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Sports Reporter | Missoula, Montana

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by SFIND, Apr 15, 2017.

1. SFIND

SFIND Well-Known Member

JournalismJobs.com - Job Listing - Sports Reporter

The Missoulian is looking for a versatile, enterprising sports reporter with strong reporting and writing skills on all platforms to cover the University of Montana men’s basketball team and prep sports. Successful candidates must be able to take stories beyond the game, emphasizing storytelling and analysis around athletes, teams, coaches, recruiting and the money that drives decisions. Strong and ethical social media skills are a must; video shooting and editing skills are a huge plus.

The Missoulian is in the heart of beautiful western Montana and is the second largest newspaper in the state, with a sports staff – once this position is filled – of five. While this is primarily a reporting and writing position, some production work for print and digital will be required in this Tuesday through Saturday evening job. Self-motivated candidates with strong organizational and communication skills who value teamwork will have a leg up on the competition.

We offer an excellent benefits package, including medical, dental, vision, paid holidays and vacation. We are an equal opportunity employer. You can see our Web site at www.missoulian.com and learn more about our company at www.lee.net.

To apply, submit a resume, cover letter, no more than five clips and three references to www.missoulian.com/workhere

2. Cosmo

Cosmo Well-Known Member

This paper is not what it once was before Lee's ownership, but a youngun could do worse than covering Big Sky sports in Missoula. Really fun town with a surprisingly thriving arts/nightlife scene. Not sure how much travel they do with men's hoops in the regular season. They used to go to pretty much every conference game, which is no small feat in that league considering the only legitimately driveable games are Montana State and Eastern Washington.

3. I Should Coco

I Should Coco Well-Known Member

Add Idaho to that list of drivable conference foes. But yeah, the others are scattered across the western states, from Flagstaff to Portland.

I'll second Cosmo's take on the town. Missoula is a fun college town surrounded by all sorts of outdoor adventure and exploring options.

4. Cosmo

Cosmo Well-Known Member

Had forgotten that Idaho had moved back into the Big Sky.

5. micropolitan guy

micropolitan guy Well-Known Member

Not to split hairs, because Lee has ruined many a fine paper, but it has owned the Missoulian since the 1970s at least.

6. Cosmo

Cosmo Well-Known Member

You're right. It was my old paper that came under the Lee umbrella right when I left in 2005. The Missoulian was already there.

Draft saved Draft deleted