1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Sports Reporter, Minot (N.D.) Daily News

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by DAllar, Jan 23, 2013.

1. sydwhunte

sydwhunte New Member

When are you looking to hire someone for this position?

2. KJIM

KJIM Well-Known Member

3. Who knows, this position may be open again by the time graduation comes around.

As for housing, it stinks whomever gets hired will need a roomie, but the paper won't be paying $45K. With the housing situation, I hope no one in management gets too bent out of shape when someone quits after a few months here.

4. KJIM

KJIM Well-Known Member

I have had some fabulous roommates in my life. There's nothing wrong with that.

5. Mark2010

Mark2010 Active Member

That's the thing. I believe this CAN be a good job for the right person. But, between the housing and economics (along with the weather, which wouldn't bother me but might some others), there are just too many hoops to jump through and it sounds like you could well be miserable.

Given the fact, there are about a zillion other dailies of similar size and scope across America, it strikes me as a difficult place to recruit to.

6. micropolitan guy

micropolitan guy Well-Known Member

News flash, it's cold in North Dakota in the winter. So what, you're inside most of the time anyways and it's not like anybody does much outside when it's 20-below. Like a lot of places, the weather sucks for 3-4 months a year. Then it gets better.

The MDN is a great starter paper and with a college, junior hockey, Minot High and Bishop Ryan and a good Legion baseball program there's plenty to keep you busy. And there are plenty of successful MDN alums. Just read a story in my hometown paper by an LA Times writer who is a national reporter who formerly worked there.

The housing situation is a lot different than it was back in the day, but if you aspire for bigger than better jobs you can get there from Minot, if there is still a there in 10-20 years.

7. boundforboston

boundforboston Well-Known Member

Why doesn't someone just build a huge apartment complex and immediately become a multimillionaire?

8. KJIM

KJIM Well-Known Member

See my post on the Valley City thread. There are many reasons and most are complicated and many are related to flood recovery.

9. Who will build roads, water and sewer plants, electrical capacity, and schools? And do it in a timely manner?

10. RickStain

RickStain Well-Known Member

Heck, who will work on your construction crew?

11. Exactly. It's not just "build it." Read what's in the papers in North Dakota. Couple that with a legislature that sits for 80 days every two years. Tough to get state government funding in place quickly.

12. Mark2010

Mark2010 Active Member

That's what the stimulus was for, damnit.

Draft saved Draft deleted