1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Sports Reporter, Minot (N.D.) Daily News

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by DAllar, Jan 23, 2013.

1. DAllar

DAllar New Member

****We have another opening on our sports staff. Yes, housing is hard to find but we have some leads on available places.

The Minot Daily News, a 19,000-circulation, seven-day newspaper in northwest North Dakota, immediately seeks a full-time sportswriter to complete our four-person staff.

The region features competitive prep athletics along with two junior colleges and Minot State University, an NCAA Division II school in the Northern Sun Intercollegiate Conference. We also cover the Minot Minotauros, a junior hockey team in the North American Hockey League.

The new hire will primarily cover preps. There are about 40 high schools in our coverage area (for the three in-town schools, we cover games regularly; the others we touch on in features and notebook items). Occasional opportunities to cover Minot State and the Minotauros will also be available.

We focus on writing clean, concise copy and also take our own photos. Photography experience is preferred, but we would train the right applicant to use a camera. Layout duties for our sports department are simply formatting scores on our scoreboard page once or twice a week.

To apply, send your resume and five clips to sports editor Daniel Allar at dallar@minotdailynews.com, and please put "Sports Reporter" in the subject line.

2. He didn't last long in Minot. Can't the paper hold the apartment of the guy who is leaving?

3. KJIM

KJIM Well-Known Member

Holy cow, didn't you just fill two positions?

It's -8 outside right now.

Good luck to all.

4. DAllar

DAllar New Member

He was in a two-bedroom place, but the roommate may be open to another scribe living with him.

Yes, we did make two hires recently, both of which are still here. The last two writers to leave are still in the business but scrambled to warmer climates (the Virgin Islands and Texas).

5. dm19

dm19 Member

Minot's sports desk basically started from a clean slate this year. And their new Sports Editor is doing a fine job of making sure his guys cover their beats like a blanket. It may be expensive, you may have to share an apartment with someone and it may be cold, but this is a GREAT first job or non-lateral move from a smaller newspaper. Take the chance, you just might like it.

6. RickStain

RickStain Well-Known Member

The preps scene in the area is really fun, imo. One of the best I've encountered.

7. peacer84

peacer84 Member

There's obviously been a lot of turnover here because of the high cost of living and the cold climate, but this really is a good job, especially for college grads. You'll do plenty of game coverage and they travel to all the big state tournaments.

It stays fairly busy during the school season and the summers are usually pretty nice.

On a side note, if you enjoy a job where management isn't breathing down your throat, consider this one. Very easy going bosses.

8. Mark2010

Mark2010 Active Member

According to www.weather.com, the current wind chill factor is MINUS 43!!!!

I'm a hearty soul who typically enjoys winter and winter sports. But, man, that's pushing it!!

9. KJIM

KJIM Well-Known Member

It's -21 before the wind chill, too, but that is why God created the indoors.

Have had too many "North Dakota nice" people asking me the past three days how I like the weather here. I want to strangle them.

Tomorrow it's supposed to get up to 17, though.

10. DAllar

DAllar New Member

Update on the housing situation: We do have a place for the new hire to live. It's a pretty nice apartment and livable for the wage we pay.

11. boxingnut4324

boxingnut4324 Member

I'm very interested in the job, but I'm finishing up my senior year and wouldn't be able to start in the summer. Is the job time sensitive?

12. DAllar

DAllar New Member

Yes. We're looking to fill the opening much sooner than that. Thanks for your interest.

Draft saved Draft deleted