1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Sports reporter, Middletown (NY) Times Herald-Record

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by STLIrish, Dec 4, 2007.

1. STLIrish

STLIrish Active Member

Good gig. Anyone know who left?

From jjobs.com.
    We're looking for a creative and energetic sports reporter who can bring us so much more than what happened at a game. We're looking for someone who will break news consistently, spot trends, issues and feature subjects and think outside the field.

The right person to join our top-notch team will be also be someone who can tell stories in a variety of ways, including alternate story forms, video and audio and narrative style.

The Times Herald-Record is an 82,000-circulation daily in the beautiful and dynamic Hudson Valley region of New York.

Send resume and writing samples to Sports Editor Matt Pepin
    40 Mulberry Street, Middletown, N.Y., 10940
    or e-mail mpepin@th-record.com

2. MU_was_not_so_hard

MU_was_not_so_hard Active Member

Looks like a solid job. It's been a few years since I've followed this market, but even if they're looking for someone right out of school, I wouldn't be shocked at a pay scale starting at $25k or more.

3. doublej

doublej New Member

Anyone know what the beat would be here? I'm guessing a lot of preps?

4. STLIrish

STLIrish Active Member

Cost of living what it is there, they'd better pay more than 25. They're a union paper, too. If you're straight out of college, my guess would be high 20s, maybe 30. More with a year or two in the biz.

5. If it's a Guild paper, I can't find it listed here...

http://www.newsguild.org/scales/index.php?ID=4091

6. Buckeye12

Buckeye12 Member

25K? It's not a 25 circ. They better start much higher than that or they're going to get bumpkus

7. Varsity845

Varsity845 New Member

This job is covering high schools and local sports.

8. STLIrish

STLIrish Active Member

They're in a CWA local, not Guild. Just got a new contract earlier this year, so hopefully it'll hold through the impending sale.

9. ChmDogg

ChmDogg Member

So, any rough idea where they fall on that Guild scale??

10. wickedwritah

wickedwritah Guest

From my experience, CWA locals are weak comparatively. Lack of Guild muscle = cheaper-than-toilet-paper-it's-written-on contract.

11. Monday Morning Sportswriter

Monday Morning Sportswriter Well-Known Member

Probably high $30s at a minimum. $40K should be more like it. (I worked there for what seemed like years -- really, just a matter of months.)

12. ChmDogg

ChmDogg Member

So you feel pretty confident that it's somewhere in the 30's as opposed to the 20's??

Anyone else have any info on the paper and the area?

Thanks in advance.

Draft saved Draft deleted