1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Sports Reporter: Medford, OR

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by Harry Doyle, Jul 8, 2009.

1. BYUSportsGuy

BYUSportsGuy Member

ARose,

Put your application out anywhere you can. I, too, am a recent grad, and at this point, you just gotta get your name out there. Unfortunately for our more experienced folks, papers like hiring newbies because they're cheaper to pay and easier to move across the country if they're single. I've applied to papers across the country from where I am from, and surprisingly, I've at least received interviews from places where I didn't think I'd get a shot. Now, I'm still not hired, but I've been able to get the experience of interviewing a ton, and even been able to been some good guys and go to places I've never been.

It'll happen to you and you'll get a job earlier than you think if you just apply wherever the heck you want, regardless of what chance you think you'll have. What's there to lose? What's the worst thing they can do to you, tell you no?

2. sportsguydave

sportsguydave Active Member

Don't get discouraged, ARose. It's a very tough job market out there right now, especially with all us old-timers in the mix.. :D

If you really want to work in this business, there will be something out there for you. All of us started somewhere ... and I got into the business in the mid-1990s, when, as today, everyone was sounding the death knell for newspapers. We're still here, maybe hanging by a thread or two, but here we are.

Keep at it, be open to whatever comes your way, and think good thoughts, and something good will happen.

And don't forget the sunscreen... :D

3. ARose17

ARose17 Member

Oh I'm not worried about that. I check here everyday and send out apps whenever a new reporter job opens. I was just wondering what people thought of a recent grad's chances. I've got an internship to keep me busy until some sort of job rolls in. Just anxious to begin making far too little money so I can retire by the time I'm 93.

4. ARose17

ARose17 Member

BTW...thanks for all the replies.

5. sportsguydave

You definitely have the right mindset to be a sportswriter!! :D Attitude is half the battle!!

6. Good goal. I'm not sure I'll live long enough to make enough money to retire, but maybe I can get to 95. More likely, I'll meet my end at 75 covering a high school softball game. But it'll be a fun 54 years.

7. ARose17

ARose17 Member

Better high school softball than 8 hours of high school wrestling...

8. Johnny Dangerously

Johnny Dangerously Well-Known Member

I could use a hug. Maybe I should apply.

9. esport12

esport12 Member

this is the most feel-good thread on SportsJournalists.com since.....well....it's been a long time.

10. gutenberg

gutenberg Guest

Dang, I could use a few hugs too. I might be dropping my pro beat gig for the paradise that is Medford.

And they pay better than Pocatello and Flagstaff for a less prestigious gig. Speaks well for their management.

Three cheers for Medford.

11. sportsguydave

Gutenberg:

Why the need to constantly bash small-town jobs?? Makes you look a little silly, if you've got such a prestigious "pro beat" and all.

12. gutenberg

gutenberg Guest

Hey sportsguydave, I'm not sure why you think I bashed Medford. I complimented the place and its management and pointed out the pay is better in an area where there is less to cover than Pocatello (Idaho State) and Flagstaff (Northern Arizona).

And if part of this is in reference to Indiana, why don't I have the right to express that I wouldn't want to live there? That's my choice. It has nothing to do with you so not sure why that offends you so much.

Best of luck to you on your job search.

Draft saved Draft deleted