1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Sports Reporter: Medford, OR

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by Harry Doyle, Jul 8, 2009.

1. Harry Doyle

Harry Doyle Member

The Medford, Ore., Mail Tribune, an award-winning 28,000 circulation daily, is looking for a full-time sports writer to complete our five-person staff. Job duties will include coverage of high school, college and community sports. We’re looking for a creative, energetic writer to produce compelling features and to write game stories quickly on deadline. The person hired will also design and edit on a limited basis and work with the Web. Previous professional experience is preferred and Web experience is a definite plus.
    The position offers a competitive salary, a solid benefits package and the opportunity to live in scenic Southern Oregon with access to a variety of cultural and recreational opportunities. We are minutes from world-renowned theater, the Rogue River, snow skiing and wilderness areas.

Send resumes and work samples to Sports Editor Tim Trower at P.O. Box 1108, Medford, OR, 97501, or ttrower@mailtribune.com. If materials are expected to be delayed, please advise of your interest by July 17.

2. Editude

Editude Active Member

Not long ago this was a staff of six but has been down to four recently. Getting a fifth would be nice in an area that plays big-time (for Oregon, anyway) prep sports. Bowling, golf, Southern Oregon University, a smidge of Oregon State/Oregon ... it's not the deepest bit of topics, but the area is pleasant if a bit isolated and the chain has a better rep than some. Houses in good neighborhoods are not free.

3. Is any house at all free? If so, where do I sign a lease?

4. RFB-Boy

RFB-Boy Member

Plus, I've seen a bumper sticker that boasted "I was hugged in Medford" once. So if you like hugs from random folks, this may be the opportunity for you! And unlike much of the desirable parts of Oregon, you'll get the state's best facsimile of four seasons. And Dutch Bros. Coffee is liquid crack.

5. Harry Doyle

Harry Doyle Member

I'm not terribly familiar here, but I wouldn't totally write this off so quickly. Medford does have pretty spectacular weather and Southern Oregon is spectacular. If you're looking for a respected area paper in a place with great outdoor activities, this should be right up your alley. I don't know the SE and don't think Medford is necessarily a pipeline to bigger papers in the region, but I recall how popular the Klamath Falls opening was earlier this year, and Medford is a FAR more desirable destination, in my opinion.

6. ARose17

ARose17 Member

Think a recent grad has a shot at this one?

7. WriteThinking

WriteThinking Well-Known Member

A recent grad has a shot at every job out there -- a better one than all the recently unemployed/freelancing-because-otherwise-they'd be-unemployed mid-career veterans.

8. ARose17

ARose17 Member

I suppose that's encouraging.

9. Harry Doyle

Harry Doyle Member

I think a recent grade has a very good shot at this one. Depending on the recent grad, of course.

10. ARose17

ARose17 Member

I would like to think I have a decent amount of experience compared to other recent grads. But I'm applying from the other side of the country. Does that factor in much? (sorry for all the questions...I'm new at this)

11. Harry Doyle

Harry Doyle Member

It's hard to say what papers are looking for. But you might as well just apply. The Mail Tribune isn't going to get too many applicants who are familiar with the coverage there, so you really have nothing to lose.

12. ARose17

ARose17 Member

Oh I sent in the app today. I was just trying to get a read on my chances. I've sent out some other apps with no luck so far, but that's the nature of the beast I guess. Thanks.

Draft saved Draft deleted