1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Sports Reporter, Marshall, MN

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by Drip, Oct 1, 2008.

1. Drip

Drip Active Member

From Journalismjobs.com

Sports reporter needed for an award-winning Minnesota daily newspaper. We cover a Division II university along with placing a strong emphasis on local high school sports. We cover 13 high schools in our coverage area. We need a candidate who can write on deadline, handle a page or two of layout using Quark XPress or similar program and can shoot game and feature photos. Please send resume and clips online to mpub@charterinternet.com or to Editor Rae Kruger at Marshall Independent at P.O. Box 411, Marshall Independent, Marshall, MN 56258.

2. CarlSpackler

CarlSpackler Active Member

My friend moved to Marshall after 5th grade. I never heard from him again. That's all I got.

3. Small Town Guy

Small Town Guy Well-Known Member

If you love ice cream, this is the job for you ("It's the Schwan's truck!").

Schwan's started in Marshall and its corporate headquarters remain there. They put a ton of money into the town, the high school and college. The town itself is pretty much in the middle of nowhere. During the blizzard season of 96-97 (the same year Grand Forks had its flood), Marshall was shut down like five times; no one was allowed in or out. Not always because of a lot of snow, but the wind blows about 90 miles an hour. The paper itself is, meh. They had a pretty stable sports staff for several years but I think there's been quite a bit of turnover lately. A few months ago the editor of the paper - Dana Yost - resigned, which was a big blow because he was really, really good. Don't know anything about Kruger the new editor.

4. Mark2010

Mark2010 Active Member

Curious what this sort of gig pays.

5. When I was a kid, I used to love it when the Schwan's truck was in the neighborhood. Oh hell, I still get hyped up over it.

6. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

Knowing the chain (Ogden), the size of the paper and town, and what papers of similar size would pay, I would guess 20-25K...

7. ALMSguru

ALMSguru New Member

How bad has the weather been in the winter recently? I've heard great things about the town and it being a great place to raise a family. I just haven't lived through a harsh winter in 20 years and growing up in Cadillac, MI.

8. Small Town Guy

Small Town Guy Well-Known Member

I think the weather's been relatively fine the last few winters. Relatively fine meaning different things to different people in different parts of the country, obviously. I think they still sometimes get the worst of storms because of the wind which can turn two inches of snow into a shutdown blizzard. For what it's worth - nothing - when I was back in MN last year I was driving to Marshall to see my nephew play, and I made it halfway with my dad before we were forced to turn back because of a...blizzard.

And I'd put the same guess on the 20-25K, probably closer to 20.

9. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

It's flat and it's prairie... Cadillac has two things Marshall doesn't and it makes all the difference -- trees and hills...

Draft saved Draft deleted