1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Sports reporter, Lynchburg News & Advance

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by Cosmo, Sep 3, 2015.

1. Cosmo

Cosmo Well-Known Member

Sports reporter - Lynchburg, Virginia, United States - BH Media

I'm leaving this paper at the end of the week and would be happy to answer any questions about the position.
    Just PM me.

A few quick thoughts:
    * This is sort of a hybrid position where you'll be covering the Hillcats in the spring and summer and doing a mix of high schools and Division III sports the rest of the year. We used to staff Virginia Tech and Virginia but that stopped when BH purchased the Roanoke Times. One of the other full-timers handles Liberty University sports (with extensive travel) along with local golf; and the other is the point man for preps. We cover about 20 high schools.
    * We're currently on a big video kick, so having those skills would help push your resume toward the top of the pile. Being active on social media is a must as well, since that's where the biz is trending anyway.
    * Lynchburg has grown a lot in the last 10 years. Liberty is a behemoth in the middle of town and the Wards Road area is terrible, but there are plenty of places to live in a revitalized downtown and along Rivermont Avenue so you can stay away from that. Cost of living is very reasonable.
    * BH's benefits are great. Aside from one IT guy, we haven't had any layoffs, and we've been hiring to fill positions, so that's a positive.

2. Jake_Taylor

Jake_Taylor Well-Known Member

What's next for you?

3. SteveMcQueen

SteveMcQueen New Member

Any update on this?

4. Cosmo

Cosmo Well-Known Member

In the interview stage, from what I've heard.

5. Cosmo

Cosmo Well-Known Member

A hire has been made here, but I'll let the person who got the job announce it if he/she wants to.

Draft saved Draft deleted