1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Sports Reporter: Lumberton, North Carolina

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by Ben.Breiner, Aug 31, 2010.

1. Ben.Breiner

Ben.Breiner Member

"The Robesonian, a 140-year-old daily newspaper in Southeastern North Carolina, is looking for an energetic sports writer to join a three-person sports staff. The newspaper, which has won numerous NCPA awards in recent years, including one for general excellence, has a circulation of 13,000 daily and 16,000 on Sunday. A journalism degree is preferred, but not required. Experience is a wonderful substitute. The successful candidate should be able to produce clean copy, and be willing to learn. Some layout is required. The coverage is mostly high school, with some college, including an occasional ACC contest. Wages and benefits are competitive.

Send resume and clips to Donnie Douglas, editor, P.O. Box 1028, Lumberton, N.C. 28359. E-mail is preferred at ddouglas@heartlandpublications.com. "

From JJobs. Anyone have insight on this one?

2. PirateSports

PirateSports Member

3. Craig Sagers Tailor

Craig Sagers Tailor Active Member

4. donniedouglas

donniedouglas New Member

Kevin Walker is leaving the job to go to law school. He can be reached at 910 272-6118. Brad Crawford is a young sports reporter who has been with us about 16 months. He can be reached at 910 272-6119. Shawn Stinson is our sports editor. Been here about a year. He can be reached at 910 272-6149.

5. BCraw

BCraw New Member

I've been with The Robesonian a year and some change as a staff writer. Worked four years for The Fayetteville Observer before that while I was a student. (Freelance, correspondent gig). Great place for someone trying to sharpen their skills. An area filled with readers that love high school sports, football notably.

Great opportunity for someone serious about sports writing and willing to work. Hard. Features, Gamers, Capsules, Columns all included. Layout experience preferred. A staff of three that works five days a week. Early mornings, break, late nights. If you believe in the industry and need a full-time position, this would be it. I'd be happy to answer any questions you all might have.

6. Cigar56

Cigar56 Member

Nice little town to live in.

7. dkphxf

dkphxf Member

Filled.

8. spud

spud Member

Did this strike anybody else as an odd post?

9. Tarheel316

Tarheel316 Well-Known Member

What's odd about it Spud?

10. Drip

Drip Active Member

Just a guess on my part but I believe he may find it odd that an employer looking for talent is having to defend itself by having former workers attest to how great it is to work there.

11. donniedouglas

donniedouglas New Member

The position is filled. Sadly, I had more than 80 resumes. I say sadly b/c it is disappointing to think of that many people looking for a job.
    My post was simply to direct people to those on the staff as they have the best information about the job.

12. britwrit

britwrit Well-Known Member

I thought it was a unique, untried method of internet dating.

"Brad Crawford is a young sports reporter who has been with us about 16 months. He can be reached at 910 272-6119. He likes reading, long walks in the countryside and modern jazz. To know him - or even to meet him once! - is to love him."

Draft saved Draft deleted