1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Sports Reporter - Louisiana

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by jetssack, May 21, 2009.

1. No, I understand that completely. I just have the misfortune to have to do something I love to be happy, no matter how little it pays.

2. dargan

dargan Active Member

As a someone who loves this state and has one entire side of his family from this state, I'll concede that it may be Redneckistan to most people, but you'll rarely find "charming Cajun Louisiana," either. "Charming Cajun Louisiana" is the same thing, with a little more water, and more Cajun accents.

3. albert77

albert77 Well-Known Member

Quote from: albert77 on May 25, 2009, 01:44:40 PM
    I would suspect that in Bogalusa you could rent a reasonably-decent place for around 350-400.

One should be forewarned, however, this is not charming Cajun Louisiana, this is hard-core, backwoods Redneckistan.

-------

As a someone who loves this state and has one entire side of his family from this state, I'll concede that it may be Redneckistan to most people, but you'll rarely find "charming Cajun Louisiana," either. "Charming Cajun Louisiana" is the same thing, with a little more water, and more Cajun accents.

-------

It's also got better food and better music. ;)

And you probably already know, dargan, that I've lived in Mississippi most of my life, so I know ALL about Redneckistan. ::)

4. dargan

dargan Active Member

You're a good man then, Albert. ;)

As far as better food, that depends on your preference for dirty rice or white rice, and self-regulated spice or spice cooked into the meal to start with.

Good to know somebody else from "Redneckistan" is around here.

5. RickStain

RickStain Well-Known Member

Unless Louisiana has unusually high taxes, it's closer to $680 per pay check. And $500 for rent for a one-person apartment is way too high.

And you can eat pretty well on $50/week if you are willing to teach yourself some simple recipes.

6. That's true. I was living on $50 a week this past year, with 10 of that going to fund my hobby of baking cheesecake. Life on $40 a week isn't great, but it's passable. I've never had to eat Ramen.

7. RickStain

RickStain Well-Known Member

I guess it'd be harder on someone who is used to eating a lot of meat. I've always been a bread, pasta and salad guy, so it's a little easier.

I can make a fresh loaf of bread for about 40 cents worth of ingredients. Last week, I learned to make a wicked pizza that serves four (or one person four times) for about $6 in ingredients.

8. BrianGriffin

BrianGriffin Active Member

I have noticed that Bogalusa has advertised for this position at least three times since I started on this board some two-three years ago. What I haven't noticed is any other evidence that Bogalusa has a newspaper.

9. Mark2010

Mark2010 Active Member

Why?

The question is: Why would any sane individual sentence themselves to this life? Is covering high school football and little league baseball really all that awesome? Is there a hottie in town who isn't spoken for?

Sure, it's a cheaper place to live than where I am now and I suspect I could get this same apartment ($625 per month) for around $450 or less. Yeah, I can live without TV, the internet, eating out. Heck, I can be a prisoner if I need to be. The question is WHY?

10. Johnny Dangerously

Johnny Dangerously Well-Known Member

The aroma.

As a caller named Knucklehead once said on a local talk show, "A friend of mine was getting hot and heavy with this woman, and one night she rubbed up against him and said, 'Kiss me where it stinks.' So he took her to Bogalusa."

11. txsportsscribe

txsportsscribe Active Member

just what the hell do you know about louisiana? :eek:

12. Then there were folks from Bogalusa who would arrive at Southeastern, get out of their car and say, "Geez, this place stinks."

Draft saved Draft deleted