1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Sports Reporter, Loudoun (Va.) Times-Mirror

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by koolbreeze, Dec 3, 2007.

1. koolbreeze

koolbreeze Member

From JournalismJobs.com:

SPORTS REPORTER SOUGHT: Weekly newspaper in one of America's fastest-growing counties (Loudoun, Va.) has an immediate opening for a sports writer. Must be organized, have a passion for detail, be a team player and understand a sense of accomplishment. Must be dedicated to community journalism. Creativity is a plus, along with a desire for enterprise writing. Must come to work with plenty of story ideas, sports and non-sports. AP style is a must.

Our county includes coverage of 12 high schools. We're 35 minutes from D.C. Ten newspapers in the county – we're the largest with 78,000-circulation.

Send cover letter, resume and your best clips to: Carl Lukat, Sports Editor, Loudoun Times-Mirror, 9 E. Market St., Leesburg, VA 20176. Or e-mail to: clukat@timespapers.com. Please, no phone calls. EOE

Application deadline is Dec. 14.

2. Smartwriter

Smartwriter Member

Don't know much about the paper, however, the area is certainly growing. Unless things have changed, I believe you'll be part of a two-person sports staff.
    And yes, it's terribly expensive to live in or around Leesburg, however I know some people drive in from Martinsburg and Charles Town, W.Va.

3. Mitch21

Mitch21 Member

Opportunity for a recent college grad?

4. In Cold Blood

In Cold Blood Member

I'd think this would be a good opportunity for a young gun. As mentioned above, Leesburg is pretty expensive, but DC is close, so there is a ton of stuff to do in your free time.

5. Mystery_Meat

Mystery_Meat Guest

I swear, NoVa should become the 51st state. Hell, Fairfax could be the 51st state on its own.

And Charles Town = cheap lap dancers, nickel slots and year-round low-grade horse racing. A trifecta of win for the sportswriter set.

6. Hustle

Hustle Guest

I don't know if I would say Leesburg is close to DC. 35 miles according to Mapquest, but that's a straight trip down 7 (with a ton of lights) just to get into oft-congested Tysons Corner. Then you deal with the oft-congested 66. It's getting to be that there's plenty to keep you occupied in the Dulles area, though Tysons would also be a good alternative if you don't mind the drive.

I don't know much about the paper but can get some info for interested parties.

7. Mystery_Meat

Mystery_Meat Guest

When the Metro opens its Dulles station, that'll make D.C. a much easier road (or track) to hoe.

8. Smartwriter

Smartwriter Member

Right now, it seems like the easiest places to get on Metro would be to hit the orange line stations of Vienna and West Falls Church. There are also some great places to bike around there.

9. In Cold Blood

In Cold Blood Member

I guess "close" is in the eyes of the beholder... When i was in college, you had to drive 30 minutes to get to the nearest Wal-Mart. So 35 miles to downtown DC seems pretty darn close to me. Granted, traffic is usually a nightmare, but hopping on the metro in vienna eliminates some of that hassle.

10. jshecket

jshecket Member

In the year 2015 maybe.

11. Flying Headbutt

Flying Headbutt Moderator Staff Member

Not one shovel of dirt has been moved to get Metro to Loudoun, yet. Great area to be, but not only is it expensive, it's getting much more so.

12. HejiraHenry

HejiraHenry Well-Known Member

There was a time when, having once worked there, I would have given LTM a strong vote of confidence. I just can't do that now.

It's a decent opportunity for a newbie, though.

Draft saved Draft deleted