1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Sports reporter, Loudoun Times-Mirror

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by Hustle, May 24, 2007.

1. Hustle

Hustle Guest

The ad's like a week old, but I figured someone on here might have interest...

Edit to include the link (duh): http://washingtondc.craigslist.org/nva/wri/330451295.html

I'm guessing this is the opening caused by one of their guys coming south to us.

I believe it's a pretty decent paper, but don't know much about it (we rarely have reason to go up there). Cheaper (note the -er) can be had if you don't mind driving a bit and don't mind living anywhere close to DC. And 77K ain't bad for a weekly.

2. Mystery_Meat

Mystery_Meat Guest

I don't know anyone up there, but I believe that's the largest weekly paper in Virginia. In fact, I think three of the top five weeklies in terms of circulation are based in Leesburg. Used to be Leesburg was the boonies. And in 10 years, Berryville will be the new Leesburg.

3. HejiraHenry

HejiraHenry Well-Known Member

I find it difficult to believe that LTM – where I was managing editor at one point in the 1990s – has a paid circulation of 77K.

They may be rolling that paid circulation together with a TMC product they produce in the eastern part of the county.

I'll look into that question and report back.

4. Smartwriter

Smartwriter Member

As I understand it, they're not completely paid. You pay for it if you buy it from a grocery store, but it's free if you get it out of one of the vending boxes.
    Also I understand that they now deliver it free to select homes and businesses.
    I do know that Landmark acquired another weekly in Loudoun about two years ago, but don't know if the move to an almost free paper had anything to do with it.

5. Napolean23

Napolean23 Member

PM me for details...

in a nutshell: great place to cut your teeth, but you'll put up with retardation from your superiors...

6. HejiraHenry

HejiraHenry Well-Known Member

It's true. They really do print (and basically give away) that many papers.

What I find remarkable is that's it's all carrier-delivered.

They use their own carrier corps in the western part of the county and a carrier service in the more densely populated east.

Draft saved Draft deleted