1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Sports Reporter- Lexington, KY

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by Zads07, Aug 10, 2013.

1. Zads07

Zads07 Member

Originally from Indeed.com, on HireFuelapp.com
    https://www.hirefuelapp.com/companies/1072/divisions/132501/job_postings/8127664?zmc=Indeed

The Cats’ Pause has an immediate opening for a full-time Sports Reporter. Covering University of Kentucky sports, The Cats’ Pause is a multi-platform media product with more than 30 print magazine issues per year, more than 50 digital Cats’ Pause Express issues, a weekly radio show, a basketball and football yearbook and internet partnership with 247Sports.com for CatsPause.com. The Cats’ Pause is the oldest and largest college sports publication, providing UK coverage since 1976.

Qualifications:

Degree in journalism, related field or equivalent experience
    Effective organizational and time management skills to meet strict deadlines
    Ability to work well with other departments as well as outside customers
    Ability to travel and work long hours including weekends as needed
    Working knowledge of the overall newspaper and digital processes including mobile (phone and tablet), message boards, Facebook, Twitter and other social media platforms
    Strong communication skills
    Strong vocabulary, spelling and grammar skills.
    Strong photography/video skills a plus.
    Proven team-oriented behavior with the desire and ability to assist teammates and work processes where necessary to accomplish the goals of the company
    Proficient in Microsoft Word/Pages. Knowledge of InDesign, Photoshop and video is a plus
    Extensive knowledge of sports, focusing on college athletics and recruiting. Knowledge of University of Kentucky sports is a plus.
    Valid driver’s license, automobile insurance with specific coverage amounts, and an acceptable driving record
    Essential Functions:

Coverage of University of Kentucky athletics, focusing on basketball and football, including breaking news
    Coverage of recruiting
    Active participation on CatsPause.com message board community
    Write feature/news stories as assigned and find his/her own story ideas
    Write a weekly column
    Assist in editing material to be published in The Cats’ Pause and its other products
    Take photos/video at UK events as needed
    Paginate pages using InDesign as needed
    Work Schedule:

Position is full-time, 40 hours per week with frequent schedule changes and overtime during football and basketball seasons. Travel and extensive weekend work required during seasons.

2. So you're covering Kentucky, editing, taking photos and video, helping lay out 30 magazine issues a year, doing a weekly radio show, dealing with customers and posting on a message board. They weren't kidding about overtime.

3. CarlSpackler

CarlSpackler Member

Dealing with Kentucky basketball fans is worth overtime in and of itself.

4. SirTypeAlot

SirTypeAlot Member

Since this is three jobs wrapped into one, I am assuming pay is in the range of $125,000. (cue the laughter)

5. Mark2010

Mark2010 Active Member

I wonder how many people are on their staff.

6. LesJ9488

LesJ9488 Member

As far as day-to-day coverage of UK athletics, it is essentially two full-time people. Being part of the 24/7 network, there are obviously others that contribute, mostly from a recruiting perspective.

7. Jake_Taylor

Jake_Taylor Well-Known Member

I'm having trouble keeping the different UK sites straight, but I remember one them being ridiculously homerish, quite a bit more than you'd expect even from a "fan" site.

Anybody know what this one is like? I took a glance, but it's kinda hard to tell with the kind of preseason football stuff they have up on the front page right now.

8. KYSportsWriter

KYSportsWriter Well-Known Member

CatsPause is not as bad as the others, but there are some wacky fans who post on the message board.

9. Jake_Taylor

Jake_Taylor Well-Known Member

Well I wouldn't hold wacky posters against them as long as the writers and editors aren't among them.

10. KYSportsWriter

KYSportsWriter Well-Known Member

They aren't, at least that I know of.

11. PioneerVoice

PioneerVoice Member

I can't be sure that it's for the same position (though I think it is)...

But Jon Hale (previously the sports editor of KyForward.com) has joined Cats Pause.

Draft saved Draft deleted