1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Sports Reporter - Laramie, WY

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by Zads07, Sep 3, 2019.

1. Zads07

Zads07 Member

JournalismJobs.com - Job Listing - Sports Reporter

WyoSports seeks dynamic reporter for Division I college beat

WyoSports – the combined sports department of the Laramie Boomerang and Wyoming Tribune Eagle (Cheyenne) – is seeking a driven, dynamic and detail-oriented reporter and writer to cover University of Wyoming football and men’s basketball.

The ideal candidate for this Laramie-based position must be able to break news in a competitive environment, write columns and engaging features, and dive deep on enterprise, investigative and narrative pieces.

WyoSports has won numerous Associated Press Sports Editors writing and section awards, including the Grand Slam (2013-17) and the Triple Crown (2010-12).

Requirements
    Essential skills and requirements:

-- Bachelor’s degree or higher in journalism.

-- Experience in community journalism.

-- Comfortable writing quickly and consistently in AP style.

-- Strong eye for details.

Desired skills and experience:

-- Experience with beat coverage, especially at the college level.

-- Experience with Adobe Creative Suite, video and various social media platforms.

This position is full-time and offers competitive salary and benefits.

Please submit a cover letter, résumé and work samples to Jeremiah Johnke, WyoSports editor, at jjohnke@wyosports.net.

WyoSports is part of Adams Publishing Group, a family-owned and operated media company.

EOE

Benefits
    The fringe benefits include medical (split between employer and employee), dental and vision options (employee paid). There are three company-sponsored benefits, including short-term disability, long-term disability and a term life insurance policy. The company pays for these six major holidays (Thanksgiving, Christmas, New Year’s, Memorial Day, Independence Day and Labor Day). In addition, employees accrue 3.33 hours of paid leave per pay period in the first year of employment (80 hours) and increasing to 5.0 hours per pay period (120 hours) after their one-year anniversary of employment. The company has the option of making a discretionary match to the 401K retirement plan after year’s end.

2. micropolitan guy

micropolitan guy Well-Known Member

Who is leaving? David Watson? Scott Nulph? Robert Gagliardi does a heck of a job there but I think he's based in Cheyenne. Cold and windy in the winter, beautiful in the summer. There is also talk of an Expedition League summer wood-bat college team coming to town next year. An hour to Fort Collins, 2.5 to Denver. Lots of recreation opportunities available east and west of the city.

3. Waldo9939

Waldo9939 Active Member

Robert is leaving after almost 30 years there.

4. micropolitan guy

Wow, he did a heck of a job, and he's still grinding out the copy. Just saw the Boomerang's UW football season preview magazine, it was outstanding.

Is he retiring, or going to work for UW or something?

I did some extensive phone interviewing for a deputy sports editor job at the Cheyenne paper back in 1998/1999 or so. They didn't offer the job because I hadn't faced-to-faced yet but they were even going so far as to checking on employment opportunities for my wife and sending me real-estate tips, so I liked my chances.

But we decided to stay put and the woman who was the paper's editor, who I was interviewing with, left to work for the state shortly thereafter. I think RG joined the paper about that time, maybe he got the job, and they merged sports departments with the Boomerang shortly thereafter.

I think the Boomerang had about two sports editors since 1970 or so, Bob Hammond and then Robert. It covers the heck out of the Cowboys.

Last edited: Sep 4, 2019
  5. Roscablo

Roscablo Well-Known Member

Wow. Is he retiring (I know young, but crazier things have happened) or doing something else? I never thought he'd leave there.

6. Waldo9939

Waldo9939 Active Member

The tab they do for UW is absolutely stunning. In this day and age, with that kind of money, it’s amazing.

That said, Robert actually worked, as he said, his last home game this past weekend. He is taking a job as the associate editor of Wyoming Wildlife as a part of that state’s game and fish department as of Sept. 16.

Sad day.

7. MiamiBoy

MiamiBoy Active Member

8. micropolitan guy

Congrats! Lots of new housing/apartments going up in Laramie. Try to find a place in the "trees" neighborhood - south of Grand, between 7th and 22nd. Close to Washington Park, UW and the Boomerang office.

Draft saved Draft deleted