1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Sports Reporter- Kennewick, WA

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by Zads07, May 16, 2014.

1. Zads07

Zads07 Member

From jjobs.com
    http://www.journalismjobs.com/Job_Listing.cfm?JobID=1588899

Company: Tri-City Herald
    Position:
    Sports Reporter
    Job Status: Full-time
    Salary: Negotiable
    Job ID: 1588899

Description:

Journalism that makes a difference: Join the Tri-City Herald, an award-winning McClatchy Co. newspaper (30,000 circ.) in Southeast Washington's growing and diverse communities of Kennewick, Richland and Pasco.

We’re looking to hire an experienced full-time sports reporter who is fast, accurate and can juggle writing, pagination and desk duties in a five-person sports department.

We heavily cover several school districts, as well as semi-pro baseball and hockey, professional arena football, soccer and rodeo.

You will be actively engaged with social media (Facebook, Twitter), publishing to various platforms throughout the shift. We also use smartphones and iPads, and we strongly value multimedia experience with video and photography.

Candidates must have a bachelor's degree and experience at a weekly or daily paper. You must work cooperatively with supervisors and co-workers and show a positive attitude, good customer service and good problem-solving skills.

We offer competitive pay and benefits and are an equal opportunity employer. Ability to speak Spanish is a big plus in our increasingly diverse community.

Come and enjoy the lifestyle in the Tri-Cities where the Columbia, Yakima and Snake rivers flow together to offer amazing water sports, fishing and other outdoor activities, as well as renowned wineries and proximity to several Northwest national parks and forests.

Email a letter, resume and 5-6 clips that show your strong initiative, intense curiosity and ability to work independently. Deadline is May 30.

Send to cchurch@tricityherald.com with attention to Sports Editor Jeff Morrow.

2. Mark2010

Mark2010 Active Member

The size of the staff and circulation has dropped substantially since I was there several years ago. Lot of rural circulation as it's the only major paper in about a 150-mile radius.

Jeff Morrow is an awesome guy to work for. He'll give you guidance and structure, but also enough freedom to experiment and show initiative and grow as a journalist. (Cindy Church is the newsroom administrator and a really nice person as well.)

Plenty of schools to cover and most years they will have someone contending for state titles in both large and small school classifications. Minor-league baseball is short-season (June-Labor Day) so fits nicely with the school schedule. Western Hockey League team is where Carey Price and Clayton Stoner played as juniors.

Paper moved into a state of the art new building in 2004. McClatchy paper. One could do much, much worse than this gig.

3. DanKarp82

DanKarp82 New Member

I sent in my application packet for this job a couple weeks ago. I haven't heard anything and I'm eminently qualified for this one. It sounds like a great opportunity and I've been crossing my fingers I would at least get a phone interview.

Has anyone heard anything about this job?

4. Mark2010

Mark2010 Active Member

Just gotta be patient, Dan. It's early summer and people are scheduling vacations and such.

I interviewed in early August the week after the big powerboat races on the Columbia River, which were a big event for the sports staff. Then I got the job and moved on Labor Day. If you haven't heard anything by later this month, I'd email or call Jeff. He's a good guy and will appreciate your enthusiasm and won't fault you for following up.

5. DanKarp82

DanKarp82 New Member

Thanks, Mark! That puts my mind a little more at ease. :)

6. wicked

wicked Well-Known Member

YOU'RE HIRED!

7. deskslave

deskslave Active Member

Bear in mind that according to his postings here, "Mark" has worked at pretty much every small-town newspaper in America, and also happens to be a first-class POS. I wouldn't take his pronouncements on this or any other job opening with any degree of seriousness.

8. Mark2010

Mark2010 Active Member

I'm not a newbie and have worked at a number of places and know plenty of other people who have worked at places I haven't.

As for the rest of your remarks, look in the mirror and see who's the one doing the name-calling.

9. jr/shotglass

jr/shotglass Well-Known Member

Do you really have to have a pissing match here? He obviously knows the people involved at this newspaper. Your personal opinion of him holds no weight on this.

10. deskslave

deskslave Active Member

No, he doesn't *obviously* know the people involved. He claims to know the people involved, but he claims to know everyone. It's not a matter of my personal opinion* -- it's a matter of someone who IS a newbie here taking as gospel the word of a long-standing tenured poster who appears to those who don't know his history to be someone in the know.

It's possible, I suppose, that Mark does know someone at every small-town newspaper in the country. I don't know that. What I do know from his posting history is that he is someone who (a) chimes in on scores of threads claiming to have worked at the place in question and (b) is a racist homophobe.

* And for what it's worth, and I mean absolutely no disrespect to Jeff Morrow, whom I wouldn't know if he jumped up and bit me, but given (b), I wouldn't take Mark's character judgments to be worth anything either.

11. DanKarp82

DanKarp82 New Member

Sheesh I ask one simple question and it creates a firestorm.

I've been reading this site for a couple years now and I didn't think one innocent comment would get people to fly off the handle.

12. steveu

steveu Well-Known Member

Oh, you don't know this site well. ;)

Just kidding. We're all good people here. Well, most of the time.

Draft saved Draft deleted