1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

sports reporter, Kane County Chronicle (Ill.)

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by WrIIter, Sep 25, 2008.

1. Non-Prison Like Way

Non-Prison Like Way New Member

Was told that had a couple of candidates fall through the first time, which necessitated this. I'm told they want to fill this immediately, but last time they took nearly 3-4 weeks to get things rolling, so their definition of "immediately" may be different than mine.

2. Stitch

Stitch Active Member

Hey True, you're a shoe-in if you go to Mizzou. But I expect Mizzou grads to go straight to the NY Times or SI.

3. Stitch

Stitch Active Member

The reason to send resumes out is to get on the radar of SE's. Once an opening comes around next March, an editor has someone in mind.

4. BottomlessPit

BottomlessPit Member

Dude, I'm sorry my comment got you hot under the collar, but I wasn't laughing at your expense. There was a time when I was still in school myself and posting naive comments on this board and getting slaughtered, so your comment just kinda reminded me of myself back then.

P.S. And I'm not trying to be a dick here, if you're going to get into this business, you probably wanna grow a bit thicker skin than that.

5. Stitch

Stitch Active Member

Agreed that getting mad at what other people post about you is the least of your worries in life.

6. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Well-Known Member

This is open now. Their need is presumably immediate.

You are working on finding a job next May through August.

If you're lucky, your resume and clips are solid enough that somebody who's seen them will set them aside in case they have an appropriate opening next summer.

That said, you're crazy to try to get into journalism right now.

7. True Son

True Son New Member

OK, sorry for snapping at you. I just get annoyed by some of the condescending remarks made a lot of times on these boards when you're just trying to get advice.

8. BottomlessPit

BottomlessPit Member

No problem. Stay strong, and keep the faith, brother. Things are gonna work out.

9. Go State

Go State Member

Do you have enough info to elaborate on "fell through?" Did they simply turn the job down? Any idea what the pay would be on this? Circulation isn't very high, but the cost of living there isn't cheap. Then again, I don't know much about Shaw.

10. tmurray2

tmurray2 New Member

So if I applied for this the first time around and never heard back, I'm guessing I shouldn't bother with it again, right?

11. Non-Prison Like Way

Non-Prison Like Way New Member

Here is what I know. They had around 90 applicants last time this was open, did six phone interviews and brought in four people for interviews. None of the four worked out, and that's not to say that all four were offered the job and turned it down, but at least two - or maybe three - did. As far as how many people were offered the job and turned it down, I don't know. That's an educated guess. But last Friday they brought in the other two candidates who did phone interviews and it appears that neither is getting the job. So, they are officially moving onto the new batch of candidates.

12. FishHack76

FishHack76 Active Member

Well ... they're gettin' awfully picky

Draft saved Draft deleted